Sports Report for 12-10-12
- The Clinton Red Devils and the Laurens Raiders met for the 2nd time this season at LDHS last Friday night.. In girls’ action, the Lady Raiders took a 57-31 win .. The game went back and forth most of the 1st half with the game being tied at the end of the 1st period… The game was last tied at 14 all with 304 left in the 1st half when Laurens pulled out to a 19-14 lead at the half… The Lady Devils were playing shorthanded due to injuries especially in the ball handlers.. This became a problem as Laurens press created turnovers at the start of the 2nd half and Laurens pulled out to a 41-21 lead by the end of the 3rd period and Clinton was never able to mount a serious challenge the remainder of the game… Indya Kinard wound up with 12 points leading the Lady Devils in scoring… Trevoria Dendy had 8, Noelia Leak 5, Ellie Tallman 3, Tamia Sanders 2 and Queena Cunningham 1… The Lady Raiders had 2 players in double-digits. They were Maleaka Neal with a game high 19 and Mary Anna Moore with 17 of which all but 1 came in the 2nd half.. Shekiya Burnsides had 6, Kalah Gary 5 while Shaniqua Brown, Ana Parek and Jadasia Bennett all had 2 each… Adding 1 point each were Amber Anderson, Nasia Owens and Kela Daniels… Clinton is now 2-6 on the season while Laurens is 3-3 / 1-0
- In the 2nd game of the evening the Raiders were again victorious as they took a 76-56 win over the Red Devils.. Laurens took a 16-13 lead at the end of the 1st period and at times stretched it to 11 points in the 2nd period before Clinton rallied and took a 42-41 lead going into the locker room at the half… In the 2nd period, Clinton’s RJ Robinson 14 of his 22 points on the night to help the Red Devils get the 1 point lead at the half… Laurens came out in the 2nd half and picked up the defense forcing Clinton into turnovers which more often than not lead to points.. They also adjusted their defense of Robinson holding him to 6 points in the 2nd half… Laurens was able to collapse the defense down around him and Clinton had trouble with outside shooting which allowed Laurens to continue to defend the inside shots… In addition to Robinson’s 22 points, Lavadrick Glenn was the only other Red Devil in double-digits with 10 points all of which came in the 1st half… Laurens had 3 players scoring in double-digits with Dra Cunningham matching Robinson’s 22 while Chrishawn Guest added 16 and Davon Boyce 10… Clinton is now 2-4 on the season and will face Newberry tonight at home… Laurens is 6-1 / 1-0 on the season and will host Union County tomorrow night.
Now let’s catch up on some other sports from last week I just did not have time to get to.
JV Basketball: from last Thursday
- Boys: Laurens 33 – Clinton 28…. The Raiders trailed by 4 at the half but came back to take the win… Scoring for the Raiders: June Jones 11, Jordan Sergeant 7, Nick Harvey 5, Chris Statom 4, Kiante Boyd 4, Kezerio Whitmore 2 & Malik Donald 1… Jasper Fuller led Clinton with 9 points.
- Girls: Laurens 25 – Clinton 17… V. Cathy & J. Johnson had 6 points each for the Raiders.. L. Jackson and K. Griffin had 4 each.. Bre Nance had 3 and B. Carcamos 2.
- On Thursday 12-6-12 the Raider Wrestling team traveled to Woodruff to participate in a dual meet with Woodruff and Union County… Unfortunately the Raiders fell to Woodruff 27-37 and to Union County 24-48… Austin Crocker was the only Raider to take wins against both schools… Click on following link for details: LDHS Wrestling Results From 12-6-12
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Honea Path @ Sanders
- Laurens @ Hickory Tavern
- Varsity basketball host Newberry 6:00 / 7:30 This game can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC starting at 6:45.
- Varsity Basketball @ Covenant 6:00 / 7:00
- This week we will varsity basketball from Laurens High School tomorrow night as the Raiders take on Union County… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to register.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.