Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-11-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC men’s basketball team only trailed by 3 at the half last Sunday up at Furman but the Paladins rained down 12 three-point goals in the 2nd half to pull away to an 81-57 over the Blue Hose.. The men’s team will be at home tomorrow night hosting North Greenville with tipoff scheduled for 7:00.. Now today the women’s team will host Brevard at 11:30 this morning in a Tuesday Morning Education Day Game where hundreds of area middle school students will be in attendance.. Sounds like a lot of fun for the kids.
Girls: CHS 46 – Newberry 40…. The Clinton varsity teams hosted the Bulldogs of Newberry in basketball last night at CHS.. In girls action, the Lady Red Devils got back on the winning track with a 46-40 victory… Clinton had a 10-6 lead at the end of the 1st period but Newberry tied the game at 14 all with about 4:30 left in the half and the game went back & forth from there until Newberry took an 18-16 lead with 25 seconds left in the half which became the halftime score.. The Lady Devils tied the game 22 all with 5:00 left in the 3rd period but the Bulldogs were able to take a 32-19 lead going into the final period… Clinton tied the game early in the 4th and the game went back and forth until Indya Kinard’s basket with 2:56 left gave the Lady Devils a lead they would not relinquish in route to the win… After the game Coach Chris Wofford was proud of the tremendous win.. He had every right to be as Clinton only 8 players available due to injuries.. India Kinard led Clinton with 15 points and Ellie Tallman had 10… Other scoring for the Lady Devils were Noelia Leake 9, Bredashia Walls 6, Queena Cunningham 4 and Trevoria Dendy 2 .
Boys: Newberry 86 – CHS 38…. In the boys game Clinton took on the #1 ranked basketball team in Boys AA.. When the night was over, Newberry showed they earned that spot as they took an 86-38 win over the Red Devils… The Bulldogs had plenty of fire power and speed which coupled with a press that forced 37 Clinton turnovers proved to be too much for the Red Devils… RJ Robinson was the only Clinton player in double-digits with 15 points.. Tay Cook was the only other Red Devil to score 5 or more points with 5 points in the game.
Middle school Basketball: Short schedule tonight as Bell Street will play their games on Wednesday
- Girls: Sanders 38 – HP 16 … Sanders hosted Honea Path last night and in girls’ action the lady Yellow Jackets took a 38-16 win.. Malaysia Todd had 10 points to lead Sanders and Cali Heisey had 8.
- Boys: Sanders 44 – HP 26… In boys’ action Sanders picked up a 44-26 win.. Ty Foster and Summie Carlay both had 10 points to lead the Yellow Jackets.
- Girls: Laurens 33 – HT 15… In action at Hickory Tavern Middle School, Laurens took a 33-15 win in girls’ action.. KeKe Watts had 13 points for the Tigers while Tiesha Jones had 7 and both Portaland Wallace and Morgan Wilson had 4 each.
- Boys: Laurens: 46 – HT 10.. In the 2nd game of the evening, Laurens took a 46-10 win over HT.. Coach Kevin Gaines was able to play his entire bench and did limit the time of his starters… Brayln McBeth had 10 points and 7 rebounds for the victors.. Tivar Hill added also had 10 points and 5 rebounds while Evan Taylor had 3 points and 4 rebounds… Coach Gaines also said he was proud of the way Jonathan Finley stepped in and played well getting the start at point guard.. For the Panthers Jason Johnson had 7 points and Layton Mahon 3.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: Nothing noted n the calendar.
- 9th grade basketball @ Byrnes 6:00
- Varsity basketball host Union County 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball at Glenforest 6:00 / 7:00
- This week we will varsity basketball from Laurens High School tonight as the Raiders take on Union County… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to register.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.