Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-12-12
- Girls: Union County 35 – Laurens 21.. In action up at Laurens High last night, the Lady Yellow Jackets of Union County High defeated the Lady Raiders 35-21… The Lady Raiders started the game well as they had a 10-7 lead over the Lady jackets at the end of the 1st period.. In the 2nd period Laurens put up good shots but just could not get the ball to go down from the inside or outside as the Union took the lead into the locker room at the half leading 16-13… The Raiders continued to play reasonably good defense and kept the fouls and turnovers down in the 2nd half but still just could not get the good shots to fall… In the end, the offensive drought proved too much to overcome as Union went on to the 35-21 win sweeping the 2 game series with the Lady Raiders.. After the game, Coach Travis Langford was at a loss to explain why so many good shots just would not fall in an otherwise good effort by his team… Union’s Kristen Giles lead all scorers with 16 points. Mary Anna Moore led the Raiders in scoring with 11 points 6 of which came in the 1st period… Others scoring for the Raiders were: Maleaka Neal 4 while Shaniqua Brown, Shekiya Burnside and Nasia Owens all had 2 each… The Lady Raiders are now 3-4 on the season.
- Boys: Laurens 59 – Union County 37… In the 2nd game of the evening at LDHS, the Raiders took their 2nd win of the season over the Yellow Jackets as they posted a 59-37 win… Union lead very briefly at the beginning of the game as it seemed the Laurens boys might be suffering from the same problem as the girls as they too had some problems getting good shots to fall the first couple of minutes of the game.. However, the Raiders found their range and had a 13-7 lead at the end of the 1st quarter and were never really threatened again… After the game, Coach Mark Freeze thought his team played ”very businesslike” as they for the most part stayed focused and played with intensity… During the game, Coach Mark Freeze was able to use his bench and many of the Raiders got significant playing time… Laurens had 2 players in double-digits; Dra Cunningham with 12 and Chrishawn Guest with 10… Others scorning for Laurens were: Michael Boyce, Khadajah Irby and Desmond Beasley-Jones each with 8 points… Tevin Barksdale and Tyrez Young both had 4 points each while Davon Boyce added 2… The Raiders are now 7-1 on the season… Both Laurens varsity teams will be on the road to Westside this Friday night in region action.
I have not had time to bring you up to speed on varsity basketball out at Laurens Academy lately so let’s do that now:
- Girls: Last Thursday the Lady Crusaders lost to Spartanburg day 9-37… Then last Friday they also dropped a 17-32 decision to WW King.. They also lost a close heartbreaking game Monday to Covenant Christian by a score of 23-25.. Now last night the Lady Crusaders got back on the winning track with a 66-6 win at Glenforest.. If I am not mistaken, that makes them 1-6 on the season.
- Boys: The boys team is on a roll as the Crusaders now are 7-0 on the season… Last Thursday they defeated Spartanburg day 65-51… The following night they defeated WW King 56-37… They continued their winning streak with a 53-39 win over Covenant Christian on Monday night and a 75-30 win over Glenforest last nigh.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: Girls action starts at 5:00
- Belton @ Bell Street White – at old CHS gym
- Bell Street Red @ Gray Court
- Wrestling host Maudlin & Travelers Rest 5:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Thursday Dec. 13th from Laurens Middle School as the Tigers host the bell Street White Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday Dec. 18th as the Raiders take on J.L. Mann… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at email@example.com for more details or to register.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.