Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-14-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams at PC have had a good week so far.. On Tuesday the Lady Blue Hose took a 69-46 win over Brevard at the Templeton Center.. Then on Wednesday the men also took a win at the Templeton Center as they defeated North Greenville 91-83.. Both teams will be in action tomorrow as the ladies are on the road as they travel to Raleigh to take on NC State in a 2:00 pm contest.. Meanwhile the men will be at home for a 7:00 pm contest with Jacksonville State.. Head on over to the Templeton and take in the action if you have a chance.
Middle School Basketball:
- Girls: Bell Street White 16 – Laurens 15.. The Bell Street White Wildcats traveled to Laurens to take on Laurens Middle School Tigers last night and in the 1st game of the evening, The Lady Wildcats held off a late Lady Tiger rally to 16-15 win.. Bell Street had a 12-3 lead at the half but turnovers hurt them badly in the 2nd half as they were only able to score 4 points total while Laurens found some offense and actually had a chance to take the win but the last second shot missed the mark as the horn sounded to end the game… Bri James was the leading scorer for Bell Street with 5 points.. Others scoring for the Lady Wildcats were: Kalen Richardson 4, 2 points each for Ashli Smith, Sydney Fisher & Alexis Austin, while Alexis Jones had 1… Morgan Wilson of LMS was high scorer of the game with 7 points… Others scoring fo LMS: Kimberly Cunningham 4 and both KeKe Watts and Tymeshia Garlington had 2 each.
- Boys: Laurens 38 – Bell Street White 24… In a battle of undefeated teams, the LMS Tigers took a 38-24 win over the BSW Wildcats in boys’ action.. The 2 teams played pretty even in the 1st period as LMS had an 8-5 lead going into the 2ns period.. Laurens press then began to cause BS to turn over the ball as they held the Wildcats to 2 points in the 2nd period to go to the locker room leading 15-7.. Turnovers (18) and missed shot continued to plague the visiting Wildcats and they got very few offensive rebounds in the 2nd half… Laurens also had their share of turnovers (9) and also had good looks from in close that did not go down.. While happy for the win, Laurens Coach Kevin Gaines was not pleased and said this could have been the worst game played by his team this year.. Shy Boyd and Shimeek Gaskins led the Wildcats with 7 points each.. Others scoring were Jalen Carter 4 while Donte Reeder & Koko Richey added 3 each… Braylyn McBeth of LMS had a game high 12 points… Others scoring for LMS were: DQ Flyod 9, Jayln Walker & Tivar Hill 6 each and Antwain Massey 4.
- Girls: Bell Street Red 23 – Belton 17… Asia Cunningham had 17 points to lead the Lady Wildcats.. MK Kelly had 4, Destiny Fuller 2… Coach April Yates said the defense won the game for them.
- Boys: Bell Street Red 47 – Belton 25… Tymori Tribble had 22 points, Kiah Young had 11, and Charlie Craven had 7. Coach Josh Bridges stated “we played well as a team, we moved the ball and played very unselfish. We have a bright season ahead of us and we plan on finishing out the first part of the season strong”..
- Girls: Sanders 28 – Gray Court-Owens 3… CJ Ginn and Raadyah Burnside both had 7 for the Yellow Jackets.. Makala Childs had all 3 GCO points.
- Boys: Sanders 48 – Gray Court-Owens 36… Josh McGowan had a game high 12 points for the Sanders Yellow Jackets to be their leading scorer…. For the GCO Tigers, Brandon Oberdier and Josh Green both had 8 points.. Brendin Gallamore had 7 points to round out the top 3 scorers.
- Note: Coach Grant Ramsey told me both Hickory Tavern teams lost to Honea Path but scores were not immediately available.
Local Sports Schedule:
- V Basketball at Newberry 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball @ Westside 6:00 / 7:30
- Saturday: 9th grade basketball @ Byrnes Tournament
- Saturday: JV boys’ basketball @ Byrnes Tournament
- Saturday: JV & MS wrestling @ Hillcrest 8:00am
- Saturday: Varsity wrestling @ Dorman 8:00am
- Middle school boys @ Anderson 5:00
- Varsity teams @ Anderson 6:00 / 7:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Wednesday Dec. 19th from Hickory Tavern Middle School as the Panthers host the Gray Court-Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday Dec. 18th as the Raiders take on J.L. Mann… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has extended registration for youth basketball and cheerleading to Thursday December 20th.. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to register.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.