Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-18-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The PC Women’s team evened their season record at 6-6 with a 53-49 win over UCF in Orlando last night.. The men’s team will be back in action tonight as they travel to Knoxville to take on the University of Tennessee… Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. and will air live on TV on SportsSouth and on the radio at WKRI-FM I91.9.
Local sports: Lots of middle school basketball last night so let’s gets to it:
- Girls: BSR 25 – HT 18.. The Bell Street Red Wildcats traveled to Hickory tavern to take on the Panthers last night.. In girls’ action, BSR took a 25-18 win.. The game was tied at 16 all going into the final period of play when the Lady Wildcats held the Lady Panthers to just 2 points.. For BS, Asia Cunningham had a game high 14 points.. Others scoring for BS were: Destiny Fuller 4, Sara Stevens 3 and both MK Kelly and Audrey Atkinson had 2 each… For Hickory Tavern 3 players scored 4 points each… They were Alyssa Blakely, Danielle Crocker & Dajah Kilgore.. Mattie Cantrell had 3, Abby Tatham 2 and Tyler Richitelli 1..
- Boys: BSR 45 – HT 17… In the 2nd game at HT the wildcats came out firing on all cylinders and took a 15-5 lead at the end of the 1st quarter and never looked back as the Panthers offense sputtered all night.. For the Wildcats, Kiah Young had a game high 16 points… Others scoring for the Wildcats were: Charlie Craven 6, Tymori Tribble 5, Josh Williams & Zay Hurley 4 each and the following score 2 each; Kris Jeter, Malik Copeland, Robert Powell, Ty Priestley & JJ Richardson…. The leading scorer for the Panthers was EJ Dixon with 7 points.. Others scoring for HT were Jason Johnson 6 while Trey Wardlaw & Nathan Revis had 2 each..
- Girls: Sanders 22 – BSW 19… In other action last night, Sanders traveled to Clinton to take on the Bell Street white teams.. In girls action, Sanders remained undefeated as they took a hard fought 22-19 win over BSW… It was a game In which BS had their chance but could not quite pull it out.. The leading scorers for the Yellow Jackets were Malaysia Todd with 9 points and Tanesha Pinson with 4… For BS Alexis Jones had 11 while Kalen Richardson and Sydney Fisher had 4 each..
- Boys: BSW 35 – Sanders 22… In the boys game Bell Street took a 35-22 win… Sanders had trouble getting their offense in gear early.. BS played solid defense and opened the game up late with outside shooting which in turn allowed them to get inside easier.. Summie Carlay had 7 points and Troy Dendy 5 to lead the Yellow Jackets… Jalen Carter had a game high 12 points for the Wildcats.
- Girls: LMS 28 – Belton 21.. The Laurens Middle School teams were on the road traveling over Belton to take on the warriors… In girls action Laurens led wire to wire taking a 28-21 win.. Morgan Wilson had 10 points to lead the Lady Tigers while KeKe Watts added 4 and Portland Wallace 3.
- Boys: LMS 58 – Belton 23.. The Tigers got off to a slow start but overcame that to take a 58-23 win over the Warriors and remain undefeated on the season.. Coach Kevin Gaines said that the teams’ full court press after the 1st period was the difference in the game.. He was able to give his bench playing time as the starters averaged playing about 2 quarters.. Braylin McBeth paced the Tigers with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 5 steals.. DQ Floyd had 6 points 5rebounds, 5stealsl and 5 assist. Tiyzay Hill added 7 points and 13 rebounds.. 7th grader Ty Rice had 8 points 8 rebounds, 5 steals and 3 assits. Others scoring were. Jaylin Walker with 10. Evan Taylor with 4 and Jordan Wilbanks with 2.
- Girls: HP 22 – GCO 3.. In the final games of the evening to report on, the GCO Tigers hosted the Cubs of Honea Path… In the 1st game, the Lady Tigers just could not get their offense going as HP took a 22-3 win.. Makayla Childs had 2 points for the Lady Tigers and Ana Carcamos a single point.
- Boys: HP 35 –GCO 26… In the final game to report on, Honea Path completed the sweep of Gray Court with a 35-26 win.. The game went back and forth all night and the Tigers held a 20-18 lead over the Cubs going into the last period of play.. Both teams had a significant number of turnovers all during the game but in the decisive 4th period HP turned most of GC turnovers into points taking the win… Brendin Gallamore had 16 points for the Tigers… Other scoring were Ja’Myas Rhodes and Brandon Oberdier with 4 each while Antwon Tribble added 2
Local Sports Schedule:
- Fall Athletic Sports Ceremony 7:00 in CHS Auditorium
- Varsity basketball host JL Mann 6:00 / 7:30 Can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- 9th grade & JV basketball @ JL Mann 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Wednesday Dec. 19th from Hickory Tavern Middle School as the Panthers host the Gray Court-Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be today Dec. 18th as the Raiders take on J.L. Mann… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has extended registration for youth basketball and cheerleading to Thursday December 20th.. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to register.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.