Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-20-12
Local sports: Well there was a full slate of middle school basketball action last night so let’s recap it:
Bell Street Red vs. Bell Street White:
- Girls: BSR 25 – BSW 19.. In the first game of the family feud involving the 2 Bell Street teams at CHS last night, the Girls Red team took a 25-19 win over the White team.. According to Coach Yates, they led wire to wire.. The Red team was led by Asia Cunningham with 7 points while Olivia Hamrick & MK Kelly added 6 each.. Tysherria Henningham & Sara Stephens added 2 each.. For the White Team Kalen Richardson and Sydney Fisher had 5 points each while Alexis Jones added 4 & Monet Boyd 3… Bri James and Katie Roland had 1 point each
- Boys: BSR 38 – BSW 33.. In boys action, the BSR Boys team completed the sweep with a 38-33 win over the White Team.. Tymori Tribble led the Red team on a 9-0 run late in the 2nd period to give them a 21-13 lead at the half… The Red team stretched the lead to 31-19 starting the 4th quarter.. In the 4th period the white team mounted a comeback as they began to find the range with 3-point shots.. However the Red team was able to hit enough free throws down the stretch to seal the win.. Tribble wound up with 23 points on the night to lead all scorers.. Others scoring for the Red team were: Kiah Young 8, Robert Powell 3 and both JJ Richardson & Brooks Threatt had 2 each.. Jalen Carter led the White team with 15 points.. Vilo Boyd had 7, Shimeek Haskins 6, Koko Richey 3 and Donte Reeder 2.
Sanders vs. Laurens Middle:
- Boys: LMS 45 – Sanders 25… The 2 “city” rivals got together up at LDHS last night and in boys action, LMS Tigers remained undefeated as they took a 45 -25 win over the Sanders Yellow Jackets.. Laurens jumped in front 11-4 at the end of the 1st period mainly because of the press… Coach Tommy Spires of Sanders made some adjustments going into the 2nd period and the score stood 18-13 Laurens at the half… Laurens got their offense and defense “clicking on all cylinders” in the 3rd period as they stretched their lead to 34-15 at the end of the 3rd.. Brayln McBeth led LMS with 15 points and 4 rebounds.. Jalyn walker was also in double digits with 10 points and 4 rebounds.. Others scoring for LMS were Tivar Hill 6 points and 13 rebounds, and DQ Floyd with 6 points and 7 steals.. Others scoring were Ty Rice with 2 & Jordan Willbanks with 2… Josh McGowan had 10 points to lead Sanders…Justin Anderson had 5 points.
- Girls: Sanders 40 – LMS 19… In the 1st game at LDHS, Sanders girls remain undefeated as they took a 40-19 win over LMS.. Laurens Coach Chris Johnston said we lead briefly early but that they (Sanders) were just to quick, too physical and too big for us.. Malasia Todd led Sanders with 14 points and Tanesha Pinson added 6.. Tiesha Jones had 9 points to lead the Lady Tigers.. Portland Wallace had 3, Carlie Owens, KeKe Watts & Morgan Wilson each had 2 while Tymeshia Garlington had 1..
Gray Court-Owens @ Hickory Tavern:
- Girls: HT 22 – GCO 11… In the last 2 games to report on from last night in middle school basketball action, the Tigers of gray Court-Owens traveled to Hickory Tavern to take on the Panthers in “county rivals” contest.. In the 1st game HT prevailed late to take a 22-11 win.. The game was close through 3 periods of play as the score stood 14-11 in the Lady Panthers favor starting the final period of play.. In the final period turnovers and cold shooting doomed the Lady Tigers as they failed to score in the last 6 minutes of play.. Mattie Cantrell & Alysa Blackley led the Lady Panthers with 6 point each.. Abby Tatham and Tyler Richitelli each added 4 points and Dajah Kilgore 2… The only 2 players scoring for the Lady Tigers were Synporsha Long with 6 and Elexius Jones with 5.
- Boys: GCO47 – HT 33… In the 2nd game at HT, the GCO Tigers took a 47-33 win over the HT panthers.. The Tigers jumped out to a 11-9 lead at the end of the 1st period of play and then held the Panthers to a single point in the 2nd period to take an 19-9 lead at the half.. Brandon Oberdier opened the leads up a little more in the 3rd period as he hit on 3 of his 4 three-point goals in the period.. Hickory taverns Jason Johnson got hot in the 2nd half as he scored all of his game high 18 points there… In the end, turnovers were just too costly for the Panthers.. Brendin Gallamore led GCO with 15 points and Oberdier 12.. Also scoring for GCO were: Ja’Myas Rhodes with 6, Hosh Greene & Antwin Tribble 5 each and Jacob Thompson 4.. Beside Johnson’s game high 18 points, other scoring for HT were: Nathan Revis 5, Trey Wardlaw 4, and EJ Dixon, Devon Caldwell & Jay Jones all with 2 each.
The Clinton Boys varsity basketball team started play in the Newberry College Christmas Classic last night as they faced off against the Mid-Carolina Rebels.. The Red Devils had a nail bitter but in the end they took a 62-61 win on a shot at the buzzer by Tay Cook.. The red devils took a double-digit lead in the 1st half but the Rebels used 3-point goals to cut the lead to 1 at the half.. When Clinton would try to stretch out a lead, Mid-Carolina would come back with the 3’s.. The Red Devils found themselves down by 1 with about 13 seconds to go in the game when they managed to get the ball inside to RJ Robinson who dished the ball off to Cook for the winning layup just before the buzzer sounded.. Cook wound up with 25 points to lead the red Devils and Robinson had 14 to be the only 2 in double-digits.. Clinton will face Aiken tonight at 6:30 in a winner’s bracket game.
Tomorrow we have to catch up on some wrestling at LDHS.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: see above
- JV basketball @ Union County 6:00 / 7:00
- Lady Raiders in Erskine Tournament against Berea 7:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th , 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Clinton YMCA has extended registration for youth basketball and cheerleading to Thursday December 20th.. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at email@example.com for more details or to register.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.