Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-21-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. Last Tuesday night the Presbyterian College men’s basketball team outscored the Volunteers 49-35 in the second half but could not overcome its offensive struggles in the first, as they fell to Tennessee, 78-62 in Knoxville, Tenn… Now there is only 1 game left before all the PC teams take a break for Christmas and that involves the men’s team as they travel to Boone, NC to take on Appalachian State tomorrow with tipoff scheduled for 2:00 pm.. You can catch the game on WKRI-FM i91.19… And before I forget, the entire PC athletics staff and coaches want to wish you all a Merry Christmas.
- Boys: Aiken 80 – Clinton 57… On Wednesday night Clinton boys’ basketball team took an exciting 62-61 over Mid-Carolina in the Newberry College Holiday Tournament which advanced them to play last against AAAA Aiken Green Hornets who were 7-1 coming into the game… When the final buzzer sounded, Aiken had taken a 80-57 win over the Red Devils… In the 1st half, Clinton managed to play with Aiken at times… Aiken took a double-digit lead at times in the 1st half but by the halftime, Clinton had cut into Aiken’s lead and the Red Devils only trailed by 4 with the score being 33-29… In the 3rd period of play, the “wheels came off the bus” for Clinton.. By the time the 3rd period was over, Aiken had taken 66-43 lead over Clinton.. Coach Todd Frazier said after the game it was a combination of poor shot selection, poor defense and turnovers that doomed the Red Devils in the decisive 3rd period… Tay Cook led the Red Devils with 17 points and Lavadrick Glenn was the only other player in double-digits with 11… The Red Devils will play again today at 5:00 pm against the winner of the Newberry – Fort Mill contest last night.. If I were a betting man I’d bet they will be playing Fort Mill.
- Girls: Berea 43 – Laurens 41… Also last night the Laurens Lady Raiders opened play in the a holiday tournament over at Erskine College in Due West as they faced off against the 6-2 Lady Bulldogs of Berea.. When the final buzzer sounded, Berea took a 43-41 win over the Lady Raiders… According Coach Travis Langford, “it was a game we could have won but we just played inconsistently.” Laurens led 26-23 at the half and 32-24 in the 3rd period before the offense went cold and turnovers took their toll.. Laurens had a chance to tie or go ahead with a few second left but just could not make critical free-throws.. Their attempt to get the ball inbounds and score with less than a second left proved unsuccessful.. The only 2 Raiders in double figures were Mary Anna Moore with 21 points and Maleaka Neal with 10… The Lady Raiders will now face the Lady Tigers of Crescent today with the tipoff scheduled for 1:00pm.
Now I want to bring you up to speed on the Laurens Academy Crusader basketball teams.
- Girls: The Lady Crusaders improved their record to 3-6 on the season earlier this week as they defeated Greenwood Christian 41-39 in overtime… Elizabeth Price sank the winning basket with 18 seconds left in the overtime.
- Boys: The boys team also defeated Greenwood Christian 55-33 to raise their season record to a perfect 9-0.. Now both teams were in action yesterday in a tournament at Southside Christian in Greenville.. I believe the girls lost to Shannon Forest but I need to verify that.. As for the boys, I believe they won 58-44 over Shannon Forest but I will confirm that also and let you know for sure Monday.
Local Sports Schedule: See above for basketball tournament games.
- Saturday: Wrestling @ Crescent 8:00 am
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th , 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at email@example.com for more details or to register.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.