Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-24-12
Local sports: The Clinton High Boys and the Laurens High Girls basketball teams wrapped up participation in their respective holiday tournaments over the weekend.
- Boys: Fort Mill 56 – CHS 32… as of late, the Red Devils seem not to be able to put together 4 good consecutive quarters of play and a disastrous 3rd period last Friday night cost them as the Fort Mill Yellow Jackets took a 53-32 win in their final game in the Newberry College Christmas Classic…. Clinton only trailed by only 3 points with the score standing 27-24 in Fort Mills favor at the half before they went cold and scored only 2 points in the 3rd to Fort Mills 20 points… That put the Red Devils in a hole they could just not climb out of… According to Coach Todd Frazier ”We missed too many layups”… The Red Devils finished 4th in in the Newberry Tournament.. Tay Cook led Clinton with 14 points and was named to the All-Tournament Team… Shakiyl Smiley had 5 points for the Red Devils and Ian Kinard 4… The boys will return to action this Thursday in a tournament up in Greer taking on Greer at 8:00pm..
- Girls: LDHS 34 – Crescent 21.. On Friday the Lady Raiders took a 34-21 win over the Lady Tigers of Crescent High in 2nd round action at a holiday tournament over at Erskine College.. The Lady Raiders were using a team made up of a mixture of varsity and JV players due to several varsity players having to miss the game due to a funeral… Laurens never trailed in the game posting a 19-12 lead at the half…Shekiya Burnside led Laurens with 13 points..Kalah Gary had 7 points, Nasia Owens 6 to round out the top 3 scorers for the Lady Raiders..
- Girls: LDHS 42 – Brashier Middle College Charter 27… In their final game of the tournament, the Lady Raiders took a 42-27 win over Brashier Middle College Charter… Laurens had all their varsity team back for this game and were never really threatened in the game.. Coach Langford was able to use his bench early in the 2nd period.. Brashier got as close 6 points in the 3rd period but insertion of starters quelled the rally.. Mary Anna Moore led the Lady Raiders with 14 points.. Maleaka Neal was the only other Raider in double-digits with 10 points.. Others scoring for Laurens were Shekiya Burnside, Kalah Gary and Nasia Owens all with 4 points each while Amber Anderson and Kela Daniels each had 2 points….. The Lady Raiders will not play any games until January 4th, 2013 when the travel to Hillcrest.
The Laurens Academy Crusaders were also in action this past weekend in the Southside Christian Christmas Classic up in Greenville..
- Girls: In their 1st game on Thursday the Lady Crusaders were defeated by Shannon Forest who took a 51-13 win.. The girls also played on Friday but at this time I do not have the results.
- Boys: In their 1st game on Thursday, the boys’ team defeated Shannon Forest 58-44… That means the boys team played in the championship game on Friday against the host school Southside Christian.. The Crusaders entered the game undefeated on the season but unfortunately their winning streak was snapped at 10 as Southside took a 70-57 win to hand the Crusaders their 1st loss of the season.. Chase Brewington and Billy Rockefeller were the only 2 Crusaders to score in double-digits with 25 and 17 points respectively..
Local Sports Schedule:
No sports report tomorrow.. I’m taking the day off. Merry Christmas !!!!
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th , 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.