Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-27-12
First I want to remind you that both CHS varsity basketball teams will be in action tonight in holiday tournaments..
- The Lady Red Devils will be participating in the Lady Sandlapper Tournament up at Eastside High.. They will take on Riverside High with tipoff scheduled for 6:00 pm…
- Meanwhile the boys will travel to Greer High to start their participation in the Greer FCA Christmas Classic.. They will face off with the host team Greer about 8:00 pm.
Now just before Christmas I mentioned that they had the Fall Sports Awards Ceremony at CHS.. At that time I was only able to provide you with the award winners in cross country (see sports report for 12-19-2012). Now I will give the rest of the award winners.
- Girls Tennis: MVP – Gracie Waldron & Sportsmanship – Maggie O’Shields
- Volleyball: JV Hustle Award – Jamisha Williams, MVP – Ellie Tallman & Sportsmanship – Shakura Cook.
- Sub-Varsity Football: 9th grade Hustle Award – Jasper Fuller & Tyson Evans, JV Hustle Award – Jonah Shiflet
- Varsity Football: MVP – Matthias Williams, Best Defense – Rod Richardson, Best Blocker – Malik Floyd, Most Improved – Jacob Adams, Sportsmanship – Jesse Artechi and Rinky Dink – Austin Ginn
The Laurens boy’s varsity basketball team will be starting play in the Carolina Day School Holiday Classic up at Western Carolina this afternoon. Their first round opponent is Southlake Christian and the tipoff is scheduled for 1:00pm.. The Eagles are a private school from Huntersville, NC which is just north of Charlotte.
Now it has been a while since we had the time to bring you wrestling results from LDHS so let’s do some catching on the Raiders up now:
- On Saturday December 15, 2012 the Laurens varsity wrestling squad traveled to Dorman High School to participate in four matches. The Raiders managed to take 1 of 4 matches on the day as they defeated Byrnes High and lost to Fort Mill, West Henderson and Union County…Those taking multiple wins were: Matthew Donnelly, Caine Trevino & Austin Crocker all with 4 wins. Ryan Hughes picked up 3 wins while Jesus Barcenas and Stephens Johnson picked up 2 each.
- On Wednesday December 19, 2012 the Raiders traveled to Greenwood to take on Irmo and Spring Valley in varsity wrestling action. The Raiders defeated Irmo 54-18 but lost to Spring Valley 34-42. The raiders were led by Matthew Donnelly, Dylan Barrett, Juan Barcenas, Trevor Coomer, Anthony Delio, Ryan Hughes and Austin Crocker all of whom had wins against both opponents.
- On Saturday December 22, 2012 the Raiders traveled to Crescent High in Iva for 5 matches. The Raiders won 3of the 5 matches as they defeated Ninety Six 49-30, Carolina High 48-33 and Ware Shoals 72-0. A note here, Ware Shoals is just beginning a wrestling program and only had 3 wrestlers present for the meet so most of Laurens points came on forfeits. Liberty High did take a 60-21 win and Union County a 45-19 win over the Raiders. Those picking up 2 or more victories in actual competition were; Matthew Donnelly, Trevor Coomer, Ryan Hughes, Austin Crocker, and Stephen Johnson. Hughes had 3 wins on the day and Crocker 4.
- Now if you go to www.wlbg .com and look in the Schedules are under the Sports Tab you will find a posting on the wrestling team that has not only the schedule there but also detailed match results on not only these matches but all Raider varsity matches to date.. Check it out!
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.