Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-28-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. well the holiday break is over for both the PC basketball teams.. The women’s team will host Coastal Carolina tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 pm and just before that the men’s team travels down I-26 to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks in the Colonial Life Center with tipoff scheduled for 1:00pm… There will be live audio of the men’s game available at GoBlueHose.com
Local sports: We did have some local varsity teams in action last night
- Girls: Riverside 38 – CHS 20… The Clinton Lady Red Devils started their participation in the Lady Sandlapper Tournament up at Eastside High last night against the Lady Warriors of Riverside.. Unfortunately for the Lady Devils a poor 1st half proved too much to overcome as Riverside took a 38-20 win.. Clinton managed only 3 points in the 1st half as Riverside took a 24-3 lead at the half.. Coach Chris Wofford said that turnovers and cold shooting were the reasons for the poor showing.. He also stated that the Lady Devils just could not get their offense in sync tin that critical 1st half.. He was pleased that they regrouped at the half and played better in the 2nd half.. Ellie Tallman had 6 points and Quenna Cunningham 5 points to lead Clinton’s offense… Clinton will play at 4:30 today against Christ Church.
- Boys: Greer 74 – CHS 55… Clinton’s boys’ team was also in action last night up in Greer as they face the Greer Yellow Jackets in opening round action of the Greer FCA Christmas Classic… Very much like the girls team earlier, the Red Devils had a short stretch of time that made all the difference as the host team Greer took a 74-55 win over Clinton.. With about 55 seconds left in the 3rd period Clinton only trailed by 2 points with the score standing at 44-42 in Greer’s favor.. In those last seconds of the 3rd period the Red Devils turned the ball over numerous times which resulted in Greer going up by double digits at the end of the period.. Coach Todd Frazier was at a loss to explain why the team has these lapses where “the wheels fall off”. He further stated that overall we played good defense most of the game and the half-court offense looked good except for those periods when the team appears to go “brain dead”… RJ Robinson was the only Clinton player scoring in double-digits with 18… Clinton will be back in action this afternoon as they face Broome at 5:00pm.
- Boys: LDHS 71 – Southlake Christian 54… Meanwhile the Laurens Raider boys basketball team opened up play in the in the Carolina Day School Holiday Classic up at Western Carolina by defeating the Eagles of Southlake Christian 71-54… Laurens broke on top leading 18-8 at the end of the 1st period and held a 37-30 lead at the half.. Laurens outscored Southlake by 12 points in the 3rd period.. Laurens Coach Mark Freeze Mark Freeze stated “it took us a while to get going but we managed to get inside their zone for some good baskets and our press allowed us to make some big runs in the 2nd and 3rd periods”… Laurens had 3 players scoring in double –digits.. They were Davon Boyce with 16 points, Tyrez Young 11 and Dra Cunningham 10.. Others scoring for the Raiders Quinton Billups with 8, Khalid Taylor 6, Khadajah Irby 4, Jacob Freeze 3, Michael Boyce 3, Tevin Barksdale 2 and Desmond Beasley-Jones 1.. Laurens will be back in action today at 5:30 against Wayne County which is 8-1 on the season.
College Notes: The college bowl game schedule is starting to ramp up with 8 bowl games today and tomorrow and many more on Monday & Tuesday… Check the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for a list of upcoming bowl games and what TV network will carry the game…. You can also find scores of completed games… Check it out.
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981