Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12/31/12
- On Friday the Lady Red Devils faced off in a 2nd round losers bracket game against the Lady Cavaliers of Christ Church and came away with a 39-38 win over the Lady Cavaliers… Early in the game it appeared that they would suffer the same fate as the night before as they were down 11 points at the end of the first quarter… In the second quarter Clinton started his comeback and trailed only by five points at the half… The Lady Red Devils took the lead on a shot at the buzzer at the end of the third quarter.. With about 30 seconds left to play Noelia Leake hit the first of two free throws to break a 38-38 tie… Clinton was then able to hold on for the win… Ellie Tallman had 13 points to lead the Lady Red Devils and Leake finished with 12…
- On Saturday the Lady Devils finished the tournament with a game against region foe Chester.. Again the Lady Devils fell behind early but came away with a 49-43 win over the Lady Cyclones… Clinton trailed 7-9 at the end of the 1st period but took the lead early in the second period and never trailed again.. Gabby Bates had 19 points to lead the Lady Devils in scoring and also pulled down 10 rebounds… Ellie Tallman added 11 points and had 13 boards.. Tallman was also named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Also on Friday the CHS boys’ team continued its play in the FCA Christmas Classic up in Greer… After losing to the host team on Thursday, the Red Devils turned things around and took a 57-49 win over region foe Broome… The Red Devils used a half-court trapping defense and their half-court offense to build a double-digit lead during the 1st half… The Centurions did make a run in the final period and got to within a couple of points before Clinton settled back down to make the final 57-49.. Lavadrick Glenn and R.J. Robinson led the Red Devils with 16 and 12 points respectively.
- On Saturday the Red Devils finished the tournament with a loss to Chesnee in overtime… The Eagles took a 64-62 win which according to Coach Todd Frazier should have ever made it to overtime… Poor free throw shooting at the end and over 20 turnovers were the Red Devils undoing… Clinton had 3 players scoring in double digits… They were: Tay Cook had 15, Keyon Brown with 12 and Nike Davis with 11.. Keyon Brown was named to the All-Tournament Team.
- For more details on these games go to www.chsathletics.com.
- Meanwhile the Laurens Raiders boys team continued their action in the Carolina Day School Holiday Classic at Western Carolina on Friday by defeating Wayne County 65-36.. The Raiders lead at the half by a score of 27-16 in stretch that lead to be 45-32 at the end of the third quarter of play… The Raiders held Wayne County to only four points in the final quarter in route to their 65-36 win… The Raiders had two players scoring in double digits… They were Dra Cunningham with 17 and Davon Boyce with 16 points… Others scoring for the Raiders were: Tyrez Young & Chrishawn Guest 9 each, Quinton Billups 6 while Kalim Taylor, Desmond Beasley-Jones, Kahlid Taylor & Michael Boyce all had 2 points each..
- The win on Friday put the Raiders into the championship game of the Appalachian Boys Division of the tournament on Saturday against the Olympic Trojans out of Charlotte, NC… After watching them the night before, Coach freeze commented that they were the best team he had seen all year.. Good ball handlers and great shooters… When Saturday came the Raiders gave the Trojans all they could handle for almost 3 periods before the Trojans took an 83-58 win over the Raiders… The Raiders only trailed by a point with about 1 minute left to play in the 3rd period when they missed a couple of shots and Olympic went on an 8-0 run to close the period.. The Trojans then outscored the raiders 24-8 in the 4th period to take the win.. Dra Cunningham led the Raiders with 30 points…. Cunningham and Michael Boyce were selected to the All-Tournament Team..
- For more details go to www.ldhssports.com.
Well tonight’s the night that the two Tiger teams get together down in Atlanta as Clemson and LSU get together in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl… Game time is about 7:30 and I believe the action can be seen on ESPN.. It’s the final college football game of the year and I hope proves to be a good one… I hate blowouts.. all I can say is, I’d bet my house that the Tigers from Death Valley will win..
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.