Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-1-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics…. The entire PC Athletic Community wants to wish you a Happy & Prosperous New Year and they want to help you start it off with right with some free basketball… The men’s basketball team will be hosting Montreat tonight over at the Templeton center and admission is free.. The tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 and they would love to see you there..
Local sports: – There was no local action yesterday.
Clemson 25 – LSU 24:
Well the Tigers did it and I do mean the Pickens County, SC version… They took a 25-24 upset win over the LSU Tigers.. Things did not look good for the Tigers at first as Sammy Watkins went down injured on the 2nd play of the game and turned the ball over to LSU who promptly turned it into points.. To their credit, Tahj Boyd & company responded to tie the game… Clemson was down 24-13 going into the final period but the Tigers responded with 12 unanswered points in the final period for the win.. Clemson’s last TD came with 2:47 left in the game to make the score 24-22 LSU.. The 2-point point attempt failed and then Clemson’s defense did what it had done 7 other times on the night as they forced LSU to go 3 and out setting the stage for the final Clemson drive… Couple of big plays in the drive but none bigger than the 4th and 16 completion from Boyd to DeAndre Hopkins to keep the drive alive.. The final play was a 37 yard field goal by Chandler Cantanzaro for the win as the clock ran down to zero.. DeAndre Hopkins had a Chick-Fil-A Bowl record 190 yards receiving and Tahj Boyd was the player of the game.. The win gives Clemson its first 11 win season in 31 years going all the way back to 1981… Congratulations to the Tigers – the Pickens County variety that is.
Other Results Bowl from Yesterday:
- Vanderbilt defeated NC State 38-24 in the Music City Bowl
- Georgia Tech defeated the west coast USC 21-7 in the Sun Bowl
- Tulsa defeated Iowa St. 31-17 in the Liberty Bowl
Bowl Schedule for Today:
Heart of Dallas Jan. 1 Noon ESPNU Purdue vs. Oklahoma State
Gator Jan. 1 Noon ESPN2 Mississippi State vs. Northwestern
Capital One Jan. 1 1 p.m. ABC. Georgia vs. Nebraska
Outback Jan. 1 1 p.m. ESPN. South Carolina vs. Michigan
Rose Bowl Jan. 1 5 p.m. ESPN. Wisconsin vs. Stanford
Orange Jan. 1 8:30 p.m. ESPN Northern Illinois vs. Florida State
Local Sports Schedule: nothing noted.
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.