Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-2-13
Local sports: No local high school sports yesterday to report on.
South Carolina 33 – Michigan 28: Well I guess the Gamecocks decided to take Clemson’s example and stage a comeback and win in the last seconds as they took a 33-28 win over Michigan in the Outback Bowl yesterday… The Gamecocks started fast scoring on their 1st possession and taking a 14-3 lead at the end of the 1st period… Carolina’s second score came on a 63 yard punt return by Florida native Ace Sanders who went on to catch 9 passes for 92 yards and 2 TDs which resulted in him being named the 2013 Outback Bowl MVP… Carolina only led 21-13 at the half and came and came out in the 2nd half with offensive problems as they did not score in the period.. When the 4th period started, Michigan had a 22-21 lead.. Jadeveon Clowney gave the Gamecocks a spark as he forced and recovered a Michigan turnover with 8:22 remaining in the game.. On the next play Connor Shaw hit Sanders for his 2nd passing Td on a 31 yard play making the score 27-22 in Carolina’s favor… Michigan answered with a score but failed on a 2-point attempt to make the score 28-27 Michigan with just over 3 minutes to go in the contest… Shaw then led the Gamecocks back down the field but both he and Sanders had to leave the game with injuries on the same play during the final drive.. That is when Dylan Thompson came back in and finished the drive with a 32 yard TD pass to Bruce Ellington with 11 seconds left.. Carolina then held on to take its’ second 11 win season in a row going 11-2 on the year…
Other Bowl Game Scores from Yesterday:
- Florida St. defeated Northern Ill. 31-10 in the Orange Bowl
- Georgia defeated Nebraska 45-31 in the Capital One Bowl
- Stanford defeated Wisconsin 20-14 in the Rose Bowl
- Northwestern defeated Mississippi St. 34-20 in the Gator Bowl
- Oklahoma St. trounced Purdue 58-14 in the Heart of Texas Bowl
Bowl Schedule for Today:
- Florida vs. Louisville in the Sugar Bowl at 8:30 on ESPN
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470