Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-3-13
College Football Bowls:
- #22 Louisville (a future member of the ACC) defeated #3 Florida 33-23 in what most would call an upset… really was not as close as the score indicates in my opinion.
- In bowl action tonight, Oregon takes on Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl… Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30 on ESPN
- Well after both Carolina and Clemson ended their football season s with wins in their bowl games to give both teams 11-2 records on the season, rumors are starting to circulate that both teams have players who are thinking about giving up their last year of eligibility and declaring for the pro draft… Ace Sanders for the Gamecocks and both Tajh Boyd and DeAndre Hopkins are names that are being mentioned by other local media sources as players who may jump the college ship.
College Basketball: We have not had much time to look at college basketball because of all the high school sports and college football so let’s take a few moments to hit some high spots in Division I basketball.
- Men’s: The top 5 in the latest rankings are: Duke, Michigan, Arizona, Louisville and Indiana.. The 6-10 spots are occupied by Kansas Syracuse, Ohio State, Minnesota and Gonzaga
- Women’s: The top spot in women’s basketball is held by Connecticut followed by Baylor, Duke, Stanford & Notre Dame round out the top 5.. Spots 6-10 are held by Kentucky, California, Maryland, Penn State & Georgia.
- Men: None of the ACC men’s team have played each other yet but that will be changing this weekend as most school start conference play.. However I will tell you that Duke is undefeated at 12-0 at this time while Maryland is 12-1 and NC Sate is 11-2.. Georgia Tech is 10-2 and North Carolina is 10-3.. By the way, Clemson is 8-4 on the season.
- Women: The women have just started conference play and half the league have a single victory and half a single loss.. Duke is 11-0 overall followed by North Carolina 13-1, Florida State 11-1 and both Maryland and Miami 10-2.. The Lady Tigers are struggling with a 4-8 record.
- Men: Just like the ACC, the SEC men have not started conference play and only 2 teams have won 10 or more games this season to date.. They are Missouri and Ole Miss both with 10-2 records.. South Carolina under new Coach Frank Martin are 9-3..
- Women: The SEC women teams have not started conference play either but there are several of them with 10 wins or more on the season so far… 4 teams have 12-1 records.. They are Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky & South Carolina..
If time allows tomorrow we will cover a few more local schools and their conference.
Lastly I understand that Tommy Spire’s father suffered some burns in an accident at his home… Tommy is a coach and teacher at Sanders Middle School.. Emil Finley will has more about this in the news today I believe.. I will pray for a speedy recovery for Mr. Spires and encourage you to do the same.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV Girls & Boys basketball host Chester 6:00 / 7:30
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify