Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-4-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well both the men and women basketball teams started off post-holiday break play with wins.. The men defeated Montreat 77-35 back on Tuesday at the Templeton Center and the women defeated Liberty 51-49 on the road in Lynchburg, Va. last night in a big win for their program.. The men now stand 3-11 on the season and will open Big South play as they host VMI tomorrow at the Templeton Center with tipoff scheduled for 7:00.. The women are now 8-6 overall and 3-0 in Big South play and will stay on the road as they travel to Campbell for a 1:00 contest tomorrow.
- JV Girls: CHS 32 – Chester 27…The CHS JV Girls basketball team started off post-holiday play with a 32-27 win over the Chester Cyclones in Clinton last night.. The Lady Devils trailed by 3 (15-18) at the half but used a full court press to create turnovers in the 3rd period to outscore Chester 15-2 in the period to take the lead for good.. Clinton was led in scoring by Chyna Davis with 9 points, Cynthia McHam 8 points & Shauna Goforth 7 points. The team is now 3-2 on the season.
- JV Boys: Chester 38 – CHS 23… In the 2nd game of the evening at CHS, the Chester boys JV team turned the tables and took a a 38-23 win over the Red Devils.. The game was tied at the end of the 1st period and the Red Devils only trailed by 2 at the half but Chester pulled away in the 3rd… Coach Eddie Romaine commented that his team played pretty good defense and took good shots but could just not get them to fall in the end.. Delshun Young led Clinton with 5 points while Nate Martin added 4 to be the top 2 scorers.. Vee Thompson & Harrison Fisher had 3, Jameel Evans, Jasper Fuller, Jatavis Moore & La’Monte Simpson all had 2 each.. The team ia now 1-4 on the young season… See schedule below
- In the Fiesta Bowl last night, #4 Oregon defeated #5 Kansas St. 35-17
Bowl game schedule for this weekend:
Cotton Jan. 4 8 p.m. Arlington, Texas Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma FOX
Compass Jan. 5 1 p.m. Birmingham, Ala. Pittsburgh vs. Mississippi ESPN
GoDaddy.com Jan. 6 9 p.m. Mobile, Ala. Kent State vs. Arkansas State ESPN
NFL Playoff Schedule for This Weekend:
- Sat. Cincinnati @ Houston 4:30 NBC
- Sat Minnesota @ Green Bay 8:00 NBC
- Sun. Indianapolis @ Baltimore 1:00 CBS
- Sun. Seattle @ Washington 4:00 Fox
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV Girls & Boys basketball @ Christ Church 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball @ Chester 6:00 / 7:30
- 9th grade boys and JV basketball host Hillcrest 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball @ Hillcrest 6:00 / 7:30
- Saturday: varsity wrestling @ Greenwood 8:00 am
- Saturday: JV & Middle School wrestling @ Byrnes 8:00 am
- All basketball teams at Wardlaw starting at 4:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season has been extended until Friday January 4th, 2013…. Youth basketball is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.