Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-7-2013
Local sports: all the high school basketball teams got back into action last Friday night so let’s take a look at those results.
- Girls: Chester 73 – CHS 31… The Clinton Red Devils travel to Chester to open region play last Friday night… The Lady Red Devils had defeated the Lady Cyclones in tournament play over the holidays but Chester got revenge as they took a 73-31 win over the Lady Devils… Chester came out with a hot shooting hand and took a 23-4 lead at the end of the first quarter and never looked back… Chester’s hot shooting and Clinton’s turnover problem were the keys to the game… The Lady Devils had only two players scoring in double digits… They were Gabby Bates with 11 points and Tamia Sanders with 10… The Lady Devils are now 6-8 on the season and will play Woodruff at home on Tuesday night..
- Boys: Chester 91 – CHS 62 … In the boys’ game the news was not much better as Chester took a 91-62 win over Clinton… Clinton trailed by only one point at the end of the first quarter but missed free throws and turnovers led to Chester taking a 37-26 lead at the half… Clinton’s problem with turnovers and free-throw shooting continued in the second half as the Red Devils finished 9-25 from the charity stripe… Coach Todd Frazier said after the game that they continue to get good shots but just can’t seem to get them to fall… Lavadrick Glenn led Clinton with 15 points… For more details on both Clinton games go to www.chsathletics.com
- Girls: LDHS 53 – Hillcrest 43… The Laurens Raiders travel to Simpsonville to take on region foe Hillcrest and in the first game of the evening the Lady Raiders took a 53-43 win over the Lady Rams… Laurens took an 11-4 lead at the end of the first quarter but the game was tied 21 all at the half… Maleaka Neal had 10 of her 18 points in the first quarter of play… The Lady Raiders outscored the Lady Rams by 11 points in the third. To take a lead they would never lose… Mary Anna More had 11 points in the third period of play.. Coach Travis Langford stated he was glad they closed out the Christmas tournament with two wins and then had time to practice on basketball fundamentals between then and Friday’s game… Moore wound up with 20 points to lead the Lady Raiders along with Neal’s 18..
- Boys: Hillcrest 54 – LDHS 47… In boys action, the Raiders suffered through what Coach Mark Freeze called their worst half of the year as the Rams had a 32-18 lead at the half and went on to take a 54-47 win over the Raiders.. “We just didn’t play well at first half” stated Coach Freeze “We really did not play at all those first 16 minutes.” The Raiders outscored the Rams by four points in the third quarter and three in the fourth but it was just not enough… Dra Cunningham had a game-high 20 points to lead the Raiders.. Davon Boyce was the only other Raider to score in double digits with 10 points… Laurens will be back at home on Tuesday night as they face Woodmont in games that can be heard here on Real Radio 860 WLBG…. For more details on these games go to www.ldhssports.com.
- Girls: Wardlaw 31 – Crusaders 29… Sorry no details
- Boys: Crusaders 65 – Wardlaw 50…. Crusaders picked up # 11
College Notes: Of course the big news is the BCS National Championship game tonight between #2 Alabama and #1 Notre Dame.. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30 and it can be seen on ESPN..
- Cotton Bowl on Friday night Texas A&M 41 – Oklahoma 13…
- Compass Bowl on Saturday Mississippi 38 – Pittsburg 17
- GoDaddy.com Bowl Sunday night Arkansas State 17 Kent State 13
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls & Boys JV teams @ Woodruff 6:00 / &:30
- 9th grade boys and both JV teams @ Woodmont 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:30
- Middle school Boys & Girls @ Northside 4:00 / 5:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Tuesday January 8th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.