Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-9-13
CHS: The Red Devils hosted the Wolverines of Woodruff last night at CHS…
- Girls: CHS 45 – Woodruff 22… The Lady Red Devils won the 1st game of the evening as they defeated the Lady Wolverines by a score of 45-22… Clinton led 21-13 at the half then turned up defensive pressure in the 3rd period to force turnovers and go up by 20 and were never really threatened after that.. Gabby Bates had 12 points to lead the Lady Devils and Noelia Leake had 11… The Lady Devils are now 7-8 overall and 1-1 in region play..
- Boys: Woodruff 62 – CHS 55… In the boys’ game, Woodruff turned the tables as they took a 62-55 win… The game went back and forth most of the night and the Red Devils trailed by 7 at the half.. The Wolverines kept a 10-12 point lead most of the 2nd half but Clinton did manage to cut it to 1 with about 5 minutes to go in the game.. Clinton then missed a layup which could have put them ahead and Woodruff then proceeded to build the lead back up the rest of the game.. Coach Todd Frazier said we just went cold and missed to many shots from the floor that we should have made.. Lavadrick Glenn had 20 points, R.J. Robinson 13 and Nike Davis 10 to lead the Red Devils in scoring.. The Red Devils are now 4-12 overall and 0-2 in region play
LDHS: Hosted the Wildcats of Woodmont in region action last night:
- Girls: LDHS 38 – Woodmont 33.. The Lady Raiders extended their current winning to 4 games as they took a 38-32 win over the Lady wildcats…. Laurens trailed 13-9 at the half after having one of their poorest halves of the season from the floor and from the free throw line where they were only 1-14.. Coach Travis Langford told his team at the half that they were not out of the game being only down by 4 and that shots had to start dropping… They did… Laurens outscored Woodmont 16-6 in the 3rd period and never trailed after that…. MaryAnna Moore had a game high 16 points and Maleaka Neal had 11 to be the only 2 Lady Raiders in double-digits.. Nasia Owens had 5, Amber Anderson 4 and Shekiya Burnside 2.. The Lady Raiders are now 7-7 on the season and 3-2 in Region I-AAAA.
- Boys: Woodmont 60 – LDHS 55… In the 2nd game last night at Laurens High, the Wildcats extended the current Raider losing streak to 3 games as they won by a score of 60-55.. Just like last Friday night at Hillcrest, the Raiders managed only 18 points in the 1st half and put themselves in a hole they could not quite get themselves out of.. As Coach Mark Freeze said afterward “We again did not play well in the 1st half and had trouble getting shots to fall.” … Laurens did outscore Woodmont in the 3rd period and only trailed by 5 (38-33) going into 4th period and did get the Wildcat lead down to 3 late in the final period but each time they would make a run, Woodmont would answer.. Laurens had 27 fouls in the game and in the 4th period Woodmont’s Xavier Kelly had 16 of his game high 23 points from the charity stripe.. Dra Cunningham had 17 points to lead the Raiders and Tyrez Young added 13.. Others scoring for the Raiders were; Chrishawn Guest 7, Michael Boyce 5, Khalid Taylor & Khadajah Irby 4 each, Davon Boyce 3 and Tevin Barksdale 2… The Raiders are now 11-4 overall and 3-2 in region play.
- Girls: Lady Crusaders 21 – Mead Hall 19
- Boys: Crusaders 66 – Mead Hall 22… The Crusaders picked up their 12 win of the season.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: Nothing on schedule
- Wrestling @ Hillcrest 5:30
Laurens Academy: Nothing Scheduled
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 11thas the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.