Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-10-13
LDHS Wrestling: I just have not had the time to keep you posted on the LDHS Wrestling Team so let’s do that now:
- On Saturday 1-5-2013 the Raider Wresting team participated in the Greenwood High Invitational. The Raiders had 1 team member finish 2nd in his weight class and that was Austin Crocker.. Juan Barcenas finished 3rd in his weight class while Matt Donnely, Nick Delio and Cain Trevino finished 4th in each of their weight classes.
- Last night Laurens traveled to Hillcrest to participate in a 3-way region meet with the host team and Woodmont. Laurens defeated the wildcats of Woodmont 47-23 but fell to the perennial power and defending state champions the Rams of Hillcrest by a score of 7-66. Ryan Hughes and Jesus Barcenas were the only 2 Raiders to pick up victories against completion from both the other teams.
- Click on the following link to get more details on not only these 2 wrestling events but the entire season to date: LDHS Wrestling Detail Results for 2012-2013
Final Football Polls:
- A.P. Poll: 1- Alabama, 2- Oregon, 3- Ohio State, 4- Notre Dame, T-5 Georgia & Texas A&M, 7- Stanford, 8-South Carolina, 9- Florida and 10- Florida State… Clemson finished 11th.
- USA Today Coaches’ Poll: Alabama -1 Oregon-2, Notre Dame-3, Georgia-4, Texas A&M-5, Stanford-6, South Carolina-7, Florida State-8, Clemson-9 and Florida-10..
Players Announce They Will Return For Senior Year: Over the last couple of days a few junior football players at Clemson and South Carolina have indicated they will return for their senior year and not enter the upcoming NFL draft at this time.
- Tahj Boyd: Yesterday Clemson’s quarterback Tahj Boyd announced he would return. The ACC Player of the year cited his enjoyment of playing at Clemson and that the team has a lot of goals left on the table.
- Ace Sanders: Several websites and other sources are reporting that South Carolina receiver and star punt returner Ace Sanders is also returning for his senior year.. Sanders is this years Outback Bowl MVP who caught 2 TD passes and also had a 63 yard punt return for a score.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School basketball: Girls games start @ 5:00pm
- Sanders @ Hickory Tavern
- Laurens @ Bell Street Red
- Belton @ Gray Court
- Bell Street White @ Honea Path
- JV basketball teams host Broome 6:00 / 7:30
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 11th, 2013 as the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.