Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-11-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Coastal Carolina used a 27-5 run in the 2nd half of their game with the Blue Hose in Conway on Wednesday night to break open a close game as they took a 61- 43 win… Then last night the Lady Blue Hose took their 5th win in a row as they defeated Longwood 71-62 in Clinton… Both teams are in action tomorrow as the women host Radford in a 5:00 contest followed by the men hosting Campbell in a 7:45 contest both at the Templeton center.
Middle school Basketball Results:.
Laurens @ Bell Street Red:
- Girls: BSR 34 – LMS 25…. In girls action, the BSR Red team avenged an early season loss to the Laurens as they took a 34-25 win.. Coach Yates used a different offense this time and that caused to many turnovers for Laurens.. For B.S. Olivia Hamrick had 14 points and Asia Cunningham 10… MK Kelly had 6 while Destiny Fuller and Mahogany Simpkins had 2 each.. Tiesha Jones had 11 to lead Laurens..
- Boys: LMS 44 – BSR 39… In what may have been the best game of the night by all accounts, Laurens remains undefeated as they took a hard fought 44-39 win in boys’ action… Laurens trailed at the end of the 1st period but came back and had the lead 21-17 at the half.. B.S. got to within 3 but could just not hit the shots they needed while Laurens did… After the game, Coach Josh Bridges of B.B. and Kevin Gaines of Laurens were both very proud of their teams effort and also very complimentary of the other team as well… Bell Street’s Tymori Tribble had a game high 27 points while teammate Kiah Young had 10… Laurens was led by Tivar Hill and Brayln McBeth who had 18 each..
Bell Street White @ Honea Path:
- Girls: HP 19 – BSW 10… Coach John Gardner said that missing too many free throws and layups were the key in HP taking a 19-10 win over the B.S.W girls.. Bri James was the Wildcats leading scorer with 4 points… Sydney Fishes had 3 points..
- Boys: BSW 33 – HP 28… Better news in the boys game as BSW took a 33-28 win over HP.. The Wildcats were down by 6 at one point in the 2nd period but rallied to take the win… Jalen Carter had 13 points to lead the team.. Shimeek Gaskins added 9 for the Wildcats.
Sanders @ Hickory Tavern:
- Girls: Sanders 31 – HT 10.. In the 1st game @ HT, the Sanders girls remain undefeated as they took a 34-11 victory over the Lady Panthers… The Lady Yellow Jackets were just too quick for the Lady Panthers.. Malaysia Todd led all scorers with 13 points.. Daniell Crocker had 9 for HT..
- Boys: Sanders 36 – HT 16… Sanders boys completed the sweep of HT as they took a 36-16 win in the final game @ HT last night.. Sanders used their quickness to force HT turnovers and their defense held the Panther to a single point in both the 2nd & 3rd quarters.. Josh McGowan led the Yellow Jackets with a game high 12 points.. Jason Johnson had 11 points to lead HT.
Belton @ Gray Court
- Girls: Belton 22 – GCO 20.. The GCO girls scored the most points of the season for them in a single game but it was just not enough as the visitors from Belton took a a 22-20 win.. Makala Childs had 6 points and Symporsha Long 4..
- Boys: GCO 44 – Belton 26.. The GCO boys had better luck as they took a 44-26 win over Belton.. It was not easy as they had to come back from an 8 point deficit to do it…. Brendin Gallamore and Jacob Thompson both scored in double-digits with 15 & 11 points respectively..
JV Action: The Clinton JV Teams hosted Broome last night at CHS
- Girls: CHS 26 – Broome 19… After trailing 2-0 at the start of the game, The Lady Red Devil JV team quickly took the lead and went on to post a 26-19 win over Broome… According to Coach Jo Webb, the defense won the game which not have been as close as it was as Clinton missed too many shots they should have made.. Chyna Davis had 12 points to lead the Lady Devils.. Cassie Davis added 8.
- Boys: Broome 33 – CHS 31… In JV boys action Broome took a 33-31 win over the Red Devils.. The game went back and forth but turnovers doomed Clinton.. They had the ball with under 5 seconds left to play in the front court but a turnover prevented them from getting the last shot.. Vee Thompson led the Red Devils with 13 points..
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV Girls & Boys basketball host Christ Church 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity Basketball @ Broome 6:00 / 7:30
- 9th Grade Boys and Both JV teams @ Greenwood 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity Basketball host Greenwood 6:00 / 7:30
- All basketball teams @ Newberry 4:00 / 5:00 / 6:00 / 7:30
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will tonight as the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.