Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-14-12
Local sports: In basketball action last Friday night
CHS: The Red Devils traveled to Broome in region action…
- Girls: Broome wins 54 – 32… Don’t be surprised if you see a “Help Wanted” sign on Coach Chris Wofford’s door at CHS as he entered last Friday with only 7 players due to injuries.. When the final buzzer sounded at Broome he had only 4 players on the floor due to more injuries and Broome had a 54-32 win over the Lady Devils… Coach Wofford said after the game he has never seen anything like this (injuries that is) in all his years of coaching… The Lady Devils tried to keep it close but increased playing time by each player, injuries, and Broome’s Jada Wallace’s 35 points eventually did them in.. Gabby Bates was he only Red Devil scoring in double-digits with 12 points..
- Boys: CHS wins 67-54… Better news for the boys team as they put a win in the book by defeating Broome 67-54.. Clinton was able to open up a 9 point lead at times during the 1st half but turnovers, fouls and missed shots allowed the Centurions to tie the game at 36 all at the half… The Red Devils regained the momentum and held a lead going into the final period of play that they would never relinquish.. Coach Frazier said after the game that this was the best offensive effort by his team this season and he hoped it would continue… Clinton had 4 players scoring more than 10 points.. They were Tay Cook with 20, Lavadrick Glenn with 15, Nike Davis 14 and R.J. Robinson with 12.
- See postings at www.chsathletics.com for more details on both these games..
LDHS: The Raiders hosted the Greenwood Eagles in Region I-AAAA last Friday night.
- Girls: Greenwood wins 40-25.. The Lady Eagles came into their game Friday night with the Lady Raiders undefeated and with their 40-25 win over Laurens left undefeated at 13-0… Greenwood showed they were the “real deal” as they raced out to a 18-2 lead at the end of the 1st period and won every quarter but the last.. MaryAnna Moore tried to keep Raiders close in the 2nd period with 6 of her 11 points to lead Laurens in scoring on the night… Greenwood simply had too many weapons for Laurens to contend with and controlled the tempo of the game for the most part.. They did have a significant amount of turnovers especially late in the game but Laurens could just not convert enough of them into points to make a serious run at the Lady Eagles.. Others scoring for the Lady Raiders were: Maleaka Neal & Shaniqua Brown 4 each, Kalah Gary 3, Shekiya Burnside 2 and Nasia Owns 1.
- Boys: Greenwood wins 61-60 in overtime… In the 2nd game of the evening at LDHS, Greenwood took a 61-60 win in overtime.. Laurens started out a little slow trailing at the end of the 1st period but then outscored the Eagles in the 2nd period to take a 29-22 lead at the half.. The Raiders led by 6 going into the final period of play but allowed Greenwood to get back in the game and tie it at 56 all with about 20 seconds left to send the game to overtime… In the overtime, Greenwood made 2 free throws to go up 61-60 with 28 seconds left in the OT… After a time out, Michael Boyce drove to the basket as time was running out and put up a layup which rolled off the rim as the buzzer sounded to give the Eagles the win.. Dra Cunningham, Tyrez Young and Davon Boyce all scored in double-digits for the Raiders… Cunningham had 18 points, Young 17, and Boyce 13.
- For more information on these games, see the postings at www.ldhssports.com
Laurens Academy… On Friday the Crusaders traveled to Newberry.
- Girls: Did not get results.
- Boys: Crusaders win 35-33 … Billy Rockefeller’s offensive rebound and put back with about 20 seconds left gave the Crusaders a 35-33 win.
- Saturday the Crusaders traveled to Spartanburg Day.
- Girls: SD wins 39-28
- Boys: SD wins 37-35.. . This is only the 2nd loss of the season for the Crusaders.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School basketball: Girls games start @ 5:00
- Gray Court-Owens @ Bell Street White
- Honea Path @ Laurens Middle
- Belton @ Hickory Tavern
- Bell Street Red @ Sanders – This game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG and on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- JV basketball host Chapman 6:00 / 7:30
LDHS: Nothing on schedule
Laurens Academy: Nothing on schedule
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 14th, 2013 from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 18th as the Raiders take on Westside… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.