Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-15-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. Last Saturday the PC women’s team had their 5 game winning streak snapped as Radford took a 49-31 win in Clinton.. PC is 10-7 overall and 5-1 in Big South Play.. They will travel to UNC Asheville for a 7 pm. Contest on Thursday as they strive to start a new winning streak.. Also on Saturday the men’s team fell to Campbell at home by a score of 62-46 in a game that was closer than it sounds.. PC is now 3-14 and 0-3 in Big South action.. The Blue Hose will travel to Rock Hill tomorrow night to take on Winthrop in a 7 pm contest.
Local sports: Lots of middle school basketball last night so let’s get to it.
Bell Street Red @ Sanders:
- Girls: BSR 28 – SMS 25 … Sanders girls came into this game undefeated and BSR looking for revenge for an earlier loss.. When the final buzzer sounded, Sanders was undefeated no more as the Wildcats took a 28-25 win in one whale of a game.. sanders led 15-8 at the half but was held to just 2 points in the 3rd period while BSR scored 10 to go up by one 18-17 starting the final period of play.. Asia Cunningham then proceeded to score 10 of her game high 21 points to hold Sanders at bay.. Too many turnovers and missed shots doomed Sanders.. For BSR.. Olivia Hamrick added 5 points and MK Kelly 2… Kali Heisey led Sanders with 8 points.. Malaysia Todd had 7, CJ Ginn 6 while KeNyJa Spurgeon & Taneshia Pinson added 2 each for Sanders.
- Boys: BSR 52 – SMS 43… In a game that was as every bit as exciting as the girls game, the BSR boys took a hard fought 52-43 win over Sanders.. Sanders led at the end of every period except the one that counts, the last one.. Bell Street battled back scoring 19 points in the final stanza to Sanders 8 points.. Their pressure caused Sanders to turn the ball over at crucial times and Sanders also went 0-5 from the charity stripe in the final period.. Bell Street’s Tymori Tribble had 8 of his game high 24 points in the final period including some clutch free throws.. Kiah Young had 18 points for the victors.. Also scoring for Bell Street were; Zay Hurley 5, Rip Carter 3 & Ty Priestly 2…. Josh McGowan was the leading scorer for Sanders with 18 and Ty Foster had 12.. also Scoring for Sanders was Summie Carlay with 6 and Corey Mabry with 4
Gray Court – Owens @ Bell Street White:
- Girls: BSW 20 – GCO 18… In the 1st game of the evening over at the old CHS gym, the Bell Street White girls took a 20-18 win over the Lady Tigers from GCO.. The lady Wildcats were in control the whole way… They were up by 9 in the 4th period and substituted in their 2nd string when the GCO made a run but could not come back all the way.. Bri James had 11 points to lead the Lady Wildcats.. GCO had 4 players scoring 4 points each.. They were Synphorsia Long, Makala Childs, Ana Carcamos & Elexious Jones.
- Boys: BSW 42 – GCO 38.. BSW completed the sweep of GCO with a 42-38 win in boys’ action… GCO was up by 6 at the half despite one of their main players Brendin Gallamore having to set on the bench a lot due to foul trouble.. To their credit, the Wildcats did not quit and took the lead in the 4th period.. GCO was able to get it as close as 3 late in the game but the Wildcats hung on to take the win.. Josh Greene had 11 points to lead the visitors from GCO… Sorry but Coach Hallman did not get any scoring details to me for the BSW team.
Honea Path @ Laurens Middle School:
- LMS 47 – HP 23… The LMS boy’s team came into last night’s contest with Honea Path as the only undefeated boy’s team left and when the night was over they were still undefeated as they posted a 47-23 win over Honea Path… The Tigers led the entire game and were never really threatened as HP had trouble with the Laurens press and man-to-man defense.. Coach Kevin Gaines was able to play his entire bench in the contest.. Brayln McBeth had 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Tigers.. Tivar Hill was the only other Tiger in double-digits with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
- HP12 – LMS 7… Tiesha Jones had 3 points while KiKi Watts & Asha Dorrah added 2 each for LMS.
Belton @ Hickory Tavern:
- Girls: Belton 29 – HT 16…
- Boys: Belton 34 – HT 21… Jason Johnson was the leading scorer for the Panthers with 12 points.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Chapman 6:00 / 7:30 This game can be heard on sports Radio 1410 WPCC
- 9th grade boys & JV basketball host TL Hannah 5:16 / 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball @ TL Hannah 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity wrestling host Greenwood @ Hickory Tavern Middle 6:00 Senior Night
- All basketball teams host Anderson starting with middle school at 5:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 18th as the Raiders take on Westside… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.