Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-16-13
Local sports: There was varsity high school action last night so let’s recap it first:
CHS: Clinton traveled to Inman to take on the Chapman Panthers.
- Girls: CHS 38 – Chapman 29… The Lady Red Devils again played short-handed due to injuries even brought one player up from the JV team but that did not hinder them last night as they took a 38-29 win over the Lady Panthers of Chapman in Region 3-AAA action.. Clinton started out slow trailing 8-10 at the end of the 1st period but led 18-15 at the half… The Lady Devils played solid zone defense most of the night to protect their depleted numbers.. Clinton did have a defensive lapse with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd period that allowed Chapman to tie the game at 22 all but Clinton had a 2 point lead going into the final period they never relinquished… Coach Wofford said after the game the defense stepped up when needed and made the difference.. Gabby Bates led the Red Devils with 18 points. Others scoring for Clinton were: Noelia Leake 6, Trevoria Dendy 4, Tamia Sanders & Queena Cunningham 3 each and Bredashia Walls & Chyna Davis 2 each.. The Lady Devils are 8-9 overall and 2-2 in the region
- Boys: Chapman 87 – CHS 77.. In boys action, Chapman turned the tables and took an 88–77 victory over the Clinton. Really the score should have been 87-79 as the Chapman scorer failed to credit CHS with 2 points in the 1st period that everyone else did (just glad the Red Devils did not lose by 1 or 2 points). The 2 teams played pretty even in the 1st half as Clinton held a 43-42 lead at the half… Chapman tied the game about midway through the 3rd period and then slowly pulled away as turnovers and missed shots took their toll on the Red Devils the remainder of the game.. After the game Coach Frazier was overall pleased his team’s effort but did cite the turnovers and missed shots in the paint as a worry… Four Red Devils scored in double-digits with Tay Cook leading the way with 19 points.. RJ Robinson had 17, Shakiyl Smiley 15 (17) and Lavadrick Glenn 10.. Others scoring were Ian Kinard 8 and 2 points each for Nike Davis, Kenyon Brown, Tyrii Rumph & Jacob Adams.. The boys are now 5-13 and 1-3 in the region… The Red Devils will host Union County this Friday night.
LDHS: The Raiders were also on the road last night as they traveled to Anderson to take on TL Hannah..
- Boys: LDHS 70 – Hannah 64… Good news for the Raiders boy’s team as they broke a 4 game losing streak last night by taking a 70-64 win over the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets in Anderson… The Raiders had a 6 point lead at the half but Hannah made a run and pulled to within 2 points going into the final period… Laurens then outscored them by 4 points in the final period to take the 6 point win. The Raiders had 3 players scoring more than 10 points… They were Tyrez Young with 19 and 18 each for Chrishawn Guest and Dra Cunningham.. Also scoring for Laurens were Davon Boyce with 7 and Michael Boyce & Khadajah Irby who both had 4 points.. The Raiders now stand 12-5 on the season and 4-3 in the region..
- Girls: Hannah 40 – LDHS 31… The Lady Raiders had a poor 1st period as they trailed by 10 when it ended but played Hannah pretty much even the rest of the way as Hannah took a 40-31 win… Coach Langford said after the game “Our defense was good, we stopped them numerous times. In fact we held them to just 2 free throws in the final period but the only problem was we made on 1 field goal ourselves”.. He went on to comment the problem was either not getting the shots to fall our turnovers after stopping Hannah. .. MaryAnna Moore had 10 points for the Lady Raiders.. Maleaka Neal had 8… The Lady Raiders are now 7-9 on the season and 3-4 in the region… The Raiders will host Westside and if you can’t make it to the game we will broadcast it here on Real Radio 860 WLBG.
- Boys: Crusaders 68 – Anderson Christian 37.. The Laurens Academy Crusader boys team picked up win # 14 as they defeated Anderson Christian last night out at the academy.. Sorry but no information on the girls game.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: nothing noted on the schedule
- Wrestling team will host Westside & TL Hannah 5:00
Laurens Academy: Nothing noted.
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 18th as the Raiders take on Westside… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.