Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-17-13
JV basketball: I have not had time to bring you much in the way of JV basketball so let’s catch up now.
- Last Friday the CHS JV teams traveled to Christ Church and the Lady Devils started the night with a 34-26 win.. Clinton led 15-10 at the half but used the press to extend the lead in the 2nd half.. Denashia Floyd had 8 of her 11 points in the 4th period.. Cassie Nichols was also in double digits with 10 points.. Casie Nichols had 6… The boys’ JV team lost a tough one as Christ Church took a 60-57 win in triple overtime.. .. Coach Eddie Romines said it was one of the best games his team has played all year except for critical free throw misses.
- Om Monday night the JV teams hosted the Chapman Panthers… The girls picked up another win as they defeated the Lady Panthers 23-11… The Lady Devils had one of their poorer nights on offense but they did play well on defense and kept the Panthers in check until they could get their offense going.. DaNaishia Floyd led the team with 7 points… The Lady Devil JV team is now 8-2 on the season…. In the 2nd game on Monday night, the boys JV team had an overtime game but this time they won 42-40 in a single overtime.. The Red Devils started slow but finished strong getting a brief lead in the 4th period before the Panthers tied the game from the free throw line sending it to overtime.. Vee Thompson had 16 points to lead the Red Devils. . The Red Devil JV team is now 3-7 overall.
- I do have a couple of scores from JV boys basketball at LDHS.. Last Friday they defeated Greenwood 37-23.. The Raiders had 2 players in double digits.. Ke Whitmore with 12 and Jordan Sargeant with 10… The news was not as good from last Tuesday night as TL Hannah took a 28-26 win over the Raiders at home. Sorry no other details.
Laurens Wrestling: well I need to do some catching up on the Raider Wrestling Team so let’s do that now.
- On Saturday the Raider wrestling team traveled to York to take part in a meet with 5 other high schools. The Raiders were victorious in 3 of their matches… They defeated Chesnee 48-27, Gaffney 51-30 and Woodruff 45-29. Their loses were to Broome 36-45 and York 18 -60… The following had 3 or more mat victories on the day; Juan Barcenas (3), Jesus Barcenas (4), Austin Crocker (4), Stephens Johnson (4), Trevor Coomer (3) Nick Delio (3) and Ryan Hughes (3)
- On Tuesday 1-15-13 the Laurens Raider Wrestling Team carried their home match with Greenwood up the road and held it at Hickory Tavern Middle School.. The Raiders have and have had a significant number of team members come from the Hickory Tavern area over the years and wanted to give that community the opportunity to see the team.. As for the results of the match the Raiders took a convincing 57-15 win over the Eagles of Greenwood. In actual mat completion, Matthew Donnelly, Juan Barcenas, Nick Delio, Ryan Hughes, Evan Osborne, and Austin Crocker all took wins over their opponent… The Raiders also honored their lone senior Trevor Coomer in a ceremony before the match. Trevor is in his 4th year of varsity competition.
- On Wednesday 1-16-13 the Raiders hosted TL Hannah and Westside in region wrestling action at the main gym at LDHS. Good news for the Raiders as they swept both opponents. The Raiders took a 48-24 win over Westside and a 70-6 win over TL Hannah. The Raiders who picked up mat wins against both opponents were; Matthew Donnelly, Juan Barcenas, Ryan Hughes and Austin Crocker.
- Click on the following for more details on these matches: LDHS Wrestling Detail Results for 2012-2013
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Bell Street Red @ Honea Path
- Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street White
- Sanders @ Belton
- Laurens Middle @ Gray Court
- JV basketball @ Union County 6:00 / 7:30
LDHS: Nothing noted on the schedule.
- Varsity Basketball @ St. Joseph 6:00 / 7:30
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 18th as the Raiders take on Westside… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.