Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-18-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The men’s basketball team got to within 4 points late in the 2nd half up at Winthrop on Wed. night but could get no closer as the Eagles took a 62-51 win over the Blue Hose.. The men will host Liberty tomorrow night at the Templeton Center in a 7:00 pm tipoff…. Last night the Lady Blue Hose defeated UNC Asheville 56-49 up in Ashville.. The next contest for the team will be tomorrow as they travel to Rock Hill to take on the Lady Eagles of Winthrop wit tipoff scheduled for 1:00 pm.
Middle School Basketball… last night all the middle school basketball teams were in action.
Bell Street Red @ Honea Path:
- Girls: BSR 22 – HP 19… In what Coach April Yates described as probably our worst game of the season, the BSR girls took a 22-19 win over HP.. Like I told her, a win is a win.. Asia Cuningham had 8 points to lead the team.. Three players had 4 points each… They were Alexis Pregano, Olivia Hamrick & MK Kelly… Diana Martin added 2 points.
- Boys: HP 51 – BSR 46.. Sorry all I have is the score. .. Hope Coach Bridges is feeling better today!
Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street White:
- Girls: BSW 16 – HT 15.. In a tight game all night long, the BSW girls took a 16-15 win over the Lady Panther from HT.. The game was tied 7 all at the half and 12 all at the end of the 3rd period…Bri James scored her only 4 points of the game in the final period… Her 2nd and winning goal came with about 6 seconds left.. Kalen Richardson led the Lady Wildcats with 7 points.. Monet Boyd had 5 and Richardson 4.. For the Lady Panthers both Mattie Cantrell and Danielle Crocker had 5 point each.. Abby Tatham and Tyler Richitelle added 2 each and Dajah Kilgore 1
- Boys: BSW 32 – HT 16.. In the 2nd game the BSW boys competed the sweep of HT with a 32-16 win.. HT trailed by only 3 at the half (11-8) but the White wildcats held them to just 6 points in the 3rd period and 2 in the final period to take the win… Donte Reeder had 13 points for BSW to lead all scorers.. Others scoring for BSW were Jalen Carter with 5, Dawson Green & Sincere Hunt 4 each, and finally Darrius James & Shimeek Gaskins 3 each.. For the Panthers Jason Johnson was the high scorer with 8.. Nathan Revis had 4 while Trey Wardlaw & Roy Alexander had 2 each.
Laurens @ Gray Court-Owens:
- Girls: GCO 20 – LMS 19… In the 1st game at GCO, the GCO girls took a thrilling 20-19 win over LMS.. It was really a tale of 2 halves.. GCO led 14-3 at the end of the 1st half but came back in the 2nd half and almost took the win.. Laurens KeKe Watt sunk 2 free throws with 14.3 second left in the contest to tie the game at 19 all… GCO came back down the court and very nearly turned the ball over.. A GCO player went to floor with an injury causing the official to stop play with less than 2 second left… On the inbounds, GCO’s Elexius Jones was fouled and went to the free throw line for a 1 + 1 with 0.1 seconds left.. she made the 1st one but missed the 2nd shot giving GCO girls their 1st win of the season.. Synporsha Long had 9 points to lead GCO… Other scoring were MaKayla Childs with 7 and Jones with 4 … Tiesha Jones led Laurens with 9 points… With 4 each were Watt and Morgan Wilson.. Portland Wallace & Destiny Moses each had a single point.
- Boys: LMS 42 – GCO 16.. The LMS boys team remained undefeated last night as the coasted to a 42-16 win over GCO.. Laurens simply had too many weapons for GCO to contend with and Laurens was able to play the entire bench well before the game was over.. Tivar Hill of Laurens led all scorers with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Brayln McBeth also was in double digits with 11 points.. Other scoring for Laurens were: Ty Rice 9, DQ Floyd & Carson Todd 4 each and both Jayln Walker & Trevor Madden had 2 each…. For GCO Brandon Oberdier had 6 points to lead his team.
Sanders @ Belton:
- .Girls: Belton 26 – Sanders 17… Sanders girls lost only their 2nd game of the season as Belton took a 26-17 win… As a team Sanders only shot 5 of 62 from the floor. Cali Heisey was high scorer for Sanders with 7 points.
- Boys: Sanders 46 – Belton 23… In the boys game, Sanders avoided being swept as they took a 46-23 win over Belton.. Coach Tommy Spires described his team’s performance as “a solid game”.. Ty Foster led his team with 18 points.
One other quick note, the Laurens Crusaders’ games with St Joseph’s last night were cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball host Union County 6:00 / 7:30.. Game will NOT be on radio.
- Varsity basketball host Westside 6:00 / 7:30 This game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- Saturday: Wrestling: YMCA Iron Horse Challenge, youth club wrestling.. 9:00am
- All middle school and varsity teams at WW King 4:00 / 5:00 / 6:00 / 7:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Monday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will tonight as the Raiders take on Westside… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.