Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-21-13
Local sports: Well let’s start off by checking back on high school basketball action last Friday night.
CHS hosted the Yellow Jackets of Union County:
- Girls: Union County 53 – Clinton 24… The Lady Red Devils managed to score a single point in the 1st period and 4 in the last as Union took a 53-24 win over Clinton… According to Coach Chris Wofford Union’s press was partly responsible but unforced turnovers and just not getting good shots to fall were also a large factor in the offensive woes… Coach Wofford did praise his team’s effort especially on defense.. As you know, injuries have taken their toll on the Red Devils as they have been forced to call up JV players to fill out the team… Friday their injury problems continued as Noelia Leake went down with a knee injury.. Chyna Davis has now been elevated to the varsity and will remain there with others called up as needed.. Gabby Bates was high scorer for the Lady Red Devils with 11 points.. Others scoring were; Queena Cunningham 7, Tamia Sanders 3, Chyna Davis 2 & Trevoria Dendy 1.
- Boys: Clinton 73 – Union County 52… In the boys game the Red Devils had what was probably their best game to date as they defeated Union 73-52.. Clinton opened the game with an offensive run and never looked back… Clinton used its defense to create numerous Union turnovers which more often than not they scored off of… The Red Devils played the entire bench and all but one of the team members scored during the game… Coach Frazier also noted the improved rebounding by the team during the game… Lavadrick Glenn had 20 points to lead the Red Devils and RJ Robinson had 11… Others scoring for Clinton were Hunter Stewart with 8, Shakiyl Smiley 7and Ian Kinard 6… Tay Cook, Jacob Adams and Matthias Williams all had 4 each…. Timothy Williams had 3 and Keyon Brown, Nike Davis & Rumph all had 2 points each…. The Red Devils will host Chester tomorrow with girls action starting at 6:00
LDHS hosted the Rams of Westside
- Girls: Laurens 36 – Westside 28… In the first game of the evening the Lady Raiders came back from being down 9 points at the half to take a 36-28 win over the Lady Rams… Neither team had a brilliant first half offensively but the Lady Raiders especially seemed to not be able to finish even the best of shots at times… Laurens came out of the locker room at the half and established a press that the Lady Rams had trouble with the remainder of the contest.. MarryAnna Moore scored 6 of her 13 points on the night in the 3rd period many during a 12 point run in that period… Laurens had 20-19 lead at the end of the 3rd period and Westside managed to take a 1 point lead early in the 4th period before Laurens regained control and never fell behind again.. Coach Travis Langford noted this was a good “confidence” win coming back the way the team did… In addition to Moore’s 13 points Shaniqua Brown had 9 points all but 2 in the 2nd half to lead the Lady Raiders… Others scoring for Laurens were Jadasia Bennett with 5, Shekiya Brown & Alexis Moses 4 each and Kalah Gary 1.
- Boys: Westside 52 – Laurens 49… After defeating previously unbeaten TL Hannah last Tuesday night in Anderson, the Raiders had hoped to establish another winning streak like earlier in the season but it was not to be as they too had offensive problems as Westside took a 52-49 win over the Raiders… The Raiders went 1 for 11 from the field in the 1st period scoring only 3 points to Westside’s 17… The Raiders cut into the lead in the 2nd period and Westside led 29-21 at the half… To their credit the Raiders continued to chip away at the Rams’ lead and it was down to 3 at the end of the 3rd period… Laurens trailed by 2 with 1:44 left in the contest and by 1 with 44 seconds left but could get no closer as Westside made a 1 & 1 with 9.2 seconds left and Laurens could not get a good shot off before the buzzer… Part of Laurens problems were also being out rebounded and poor free throw shooting.. Coach Mark Freeze said the problems on the night as much mental as anything.. Dra Cunningham led the Raiders with a game-high 21 points all but 2 of them in the final 3 periods to lead the Raiders comeback attempt… Others scoring for the Raiders were: Chrishawn Guest 10, Michael Boyce 7, Khadajah Irby 6, Tyrez Young 4 and Davon Boyce 1… The Raiders will be on the road tomorrow to Greenville to take on JL Mann.
Pro Football… Well the teams for the Super Bowl are set as the Baltimore Ravens defeated the New England Patriots 28-13 last night and earlier in the afternoon the San Francisco Forty-Niners took a 28-24 come-from-behind win over Atlanta… San Francisco had been down 17-0 at one point in the 2nd period.
Local Sports Schedule: Nothing on schedule due to school being out for the Martin Luther King Holiday.
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Thursday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 25th as the Raiders take on easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.