Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-22-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics…The Blue Hose picked up another win last Saturday night as they defeated Liberty 68-60 at the Templeton Center… Khalid Mutakabbir scored a career-high 26 points to lead the Blue Hose.. The Blue Hose will host Charleston Southern tomorrow night at 7:00. Saturday afternoon the Lady Blue Hose traveled to Rock Hill to take on the Winthrop Eagles and they lost for only the 2nd time in Big South action as Winthrop took a 78-50 win. The Lady Blue Hose will play host to Gardner Webb Thursday night with tipoff scheduled for 7:00.
- Catching up on a couple of things I did not have time to bring you yesterday, last Friday night the Laurens Academy Crusaders were on the road taking on the WW King Knights… In girls action, the Lady Knights took a 35-18 win over the Lady Crusaders….
- Better news for the boys team as they picked up their 15th win of the season defeating WW King 58-44.. The Crusaders will be at home tonight as the middle school teams take on Northside starting at 4:00 and the varsity takes on Glenforest starting at 6:00.
CHS: The Red Devils are half way through their region schedule.. Let’s take a quick look at how the region stands starting the 2nd half of region play..
- Girls: The Lady Red Devils are 2-3 in region play and considering the deluge of injuries to key players it could be worse.. The Lady Cyclones of Chester lead the region with a 5-0 record… Union County is 2nd at 4-1, Broome 3rd at 3-2 and the Clinton falls in at 4th… Chapman is 5th at 1-4 and Woodruff is 6th at 0-5.
- Boys: The Red Devils are 2-3 in region play and are showing signs of coming together as a team as they start the 2nd half of region play… Chapman leads the region with a 5-0 mark.. Chester checks in #2 with a 4-1 region record.. Woodruff is 3rd at 3-2, Clinton is 4th at 2-3, Broome is 1-4 and Union County is 6th at 0-5.
- Now both teams are still in playoff contention and will start the 2nd half at home tonight against Chester. The action starts at 6:00 and if you can’t make it you can hear the action live on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders started the 2nd half of their region schedule last Friday night. The Region standings are as follows..
- Girls: The Lady Raiders are 4-4 in Region I-AAAA play and are still seeking consistent play… JM Mann stands atop the region with a perfect 8-0 record followed by Greenwood with a 7-1 record… There are 4 teams with a 4-4 record battling for the next spot… They are Laurens, Westside, TL Hannah and Woodmont… Hillcrest is 7th win a 1-7 record and Easley is last yet to pick up a win.
- Boys: The boys at Laurens also have a 4-4 record at this point in region play and started off hot but have cooled down some… Hillcrest is #1 in the region with a 7-1 record followed by TL Hannah at 6-2 and Easley 3rd at 6-3.. Laurens and Woodmont are tied for 4th with 4-4 records… Greenwood is 6th at 3-5 , Westside 7th at 2-6 and JL Mann is last at 1-7..
- Both teams are still in the playoff hunt and need to have strong finishes… The Raiders are on the road tonight as they take on JM Mann up in Greenville.
Obituaries: some notable baseball obituaries
- Earl Weaver.. The former manager of the Baltimore Orioles died Friday at the age of 82.. He led to Orioles to 4 World Series in his 17 seasons at the helm and won the series in 1970… He was known for love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with umpires.
- Stan Musial… “Stan the Man” Musial the Hall of Fame outfielder died Saturday at the age of 92.. Musial played all 22 years of his major league career with the St Louis Cardinals.. The Cardinal great actually left MLB during WW II to join the Navy then resumed his career… He retired after the 1963 season with a lifetime batting average of .331.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball host Chester 6;00 / 7:30 These games can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
- 9th grade boys and both JV teams host JL Mann 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:00
- Varsity basketball @ JL Mann 6:00 / 7:30
- Middle school basketball host Northside 4:00 / 5:00
- Varsity basketball host Glenforest 6:00 / 7:30
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Thursday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 125th as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.