Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-23-12
Local sports3: In high school basketball last night:
CHS: The Red Devils hosted the Cyclones from Chester
- Girls: Chester 37 – Clinton 31… The Lady Devils faced off against the region leading Lady Cyclones of Chester for the 3rd time this season with each team having 1 win over the other.. Granted the Clinton win was in a holiday tournament… When the final buzzer sounded, the Lady Cyclones had taken a 37-31 win over the Lady Devils.. With Clinton only dressing out 7 players due to injuries, Coach Wofford knew that Clinton would have to control the pace of the game in order to preserve his troops and for 3.5 quarters Clinton did just that… They played patient ball and led 17-7 at the half holding Chester scoreless in the 2nd period… Chester started to press more in the 3rd and cut the Lady Devils lead to four points at the start of the 4th quarter… With about 5:30 min. left in the game Chester took the lead for the first time… Turnovers and missed free throws hurt Clinton the rest of the game as the Cyclones remain undefeated in region play.. Gabby Bates led Clinton with 11 points.. Other scoring for Clinton were: Tamia Sanders & Quenna Cunningham with 5 each, Patricia Harp & Bredashia Walls 4 each and Chyna Davis with 2.
- Boys: Chester 70 – Clinton 67.. Chester completed the sweep of Clinton with a 70-67 win in boys action.. . This is a game that was hard-fought and with fast paced action throughout… Chester led by 4 at the end of the first quarter and about five at the half… The Red Devils got within two points on occasions in both the 3rd and 4th quarters but every time they got close turnovers or missed free throws them from getting closer.. After the game, Coach Todd Frazier was pleased with the effort but again cited turnovers and missed free throws as a problem… The Red Devils had four players scoring in double digits….They were Tay Cook 17, Lavadrick Glenn-14, RJ Robinson-13 & Nike Davis-12… Others scoring for Clinton were Shakiyl Smiley -7 and Kenyon Brown & Tyrii Rumph both with 2 points.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders travel to Greenville to take on the JL Mann Patriots last night…
- Girls: Mann 56 – Laurens 34.. The Lady Raiders also faced their region leading team when they face the Lady Patriots of JL Mann last night… In the end, Mann took a 56-34 win over Laurens… The Lady Raiders suffered from a flat first quarter as Mann had a 21-5 lead at its end… After last, the Lady Raiders played the Lady Patriots a little better than even until midway through the fourth quarter… With about 4:30 left to play the Lady Raiders were able to get stops on the Lady Patriots on 4 straight possessions and had the opportunity to cut the lead to fewer than 10 but could not get the shots to fall or made critical turnovers. .. Mann scored the last 9 points to close out the game.. MaryAnna Moore led the Raiders with 14 points.. Others scoring for Laurens were Maleaka Neal-8, Shaniqua Brown-6, Shekiya Burnside-5 and Alexis Moses-1
- Boys: Laurens 54-Mann 48… In the second game of the evening at Mann, the Raiders overcame a slow start to take a 54-48 win over the Patriots… The Patriots used a tight zone defense in the first half of play to deny the Raiders any close shots from the inside… The Patriots led 21-15 at the half… Laurens stepped up the pressure on the Patriots in the third quarter creating turnovers and holding them to just three points… More often than not Laurens got easy buckets off of these turnovers and scored easily when Mann tried to press… Laurens continued to press in the last quarter but poor free-throw shooting by the Raiders allowed the Patriots to keep the game close… Dra Cunningham was the only Raider scoring in double digits with 16 points.. Others scoring for Laurens were: Chrishawn Guest -9, Khadajah Irby – 8, Davon Boyce -7, Tyrez Young 6, Quinton Billups -5 and Michael Boyce 3
Laurens Academy: The Crusader varsity teams hosted Glenforest last night.
- Girls: Lady Crusaders win 41-10
- Boys: Crusaders get win # 16 as they win 84-45
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start @ 5:00
- Bell Street White @ Belton
- Gray Court-Owens @ Bell Street Red
- Sanders @ Honea Path
- Hickory Tavern @ Laurens Middle School
- JV basketball @ Chester 6:00 / 7:30
- Wrestling @ Greenwood 6:00
Laurens Academy: Nothing noted
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Thursday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 125th as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.