Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-24-12
Middle School Basketball… We had a full schedule of middle school basketball action last night.
Gray Court-Owens @ Bell Street Red:
- Girls: BSR 22 – GCO 9.. The BSR girls picked up their 9th win of the season as they defeated the Lady Tigers of GCO 22-9… Simply put, GCO was simply outmanned… MK Kelly led BSR with 8 points and Olivia Hamrick with 6 points.. Tkeyah Smith, Audrey Atkinson, Tysherria Henningham, Destiny Fuller, Mahogany Simpkins & Diana Martin all had 2 points each…. For GCO Makayla Childs had 4 and Elexus Jones 3.
- Boys: BSR 41 – GCO 38… In boys action the game was much closer but the BSR boys completed the sweep with a 41-38 win over GCO.. BSR led by 9 at the end of the first period but GCO held them to 2 points in the 2nd quarter and came back to take the lead 18-15 at the half.. The 2 teams played to a tie at 29 all at the end of the 3rd before BSR took advantage of missed opportunities by GCO late in the game to take the win.. BSR had 2 players scoring in double-digits Kiah Young 23 & Tymori Tribble 11… Others scoring for BS were Zay Hurley 3 and with 2 each Jahleed Cook, Robert Powell & Ty Priestley… GCO was led by Brandon Oberdier with 17 & Brendin Gallamore with 12.
Bell Street White @ Belton:
- Girls: Belton 33 – BSW 16.. News was not as good for the BSW girls as Belton took a 33-16 victory.. Coach Gardner said simply “(we) didn’t play well”.. Kalen Richardson and Alexis Jones paced BS with 6 points each.
- Boys: BSW 44 – Belton 23… The BSW boys avoided the sweep by taking a 44-23 win over Belton.. Coach Hallman said afterward it was the best team effort of the year… Jalen Carter had 9 points and Donte Reeder 8 to lead the Wildcats.. 7 other players also scored
Sanders @ Honea Path:
- Girls: Sanders 33 – HP 21.. After dropping their last 2 games, the Sanders girls got back on the winning track with a 33-21 victory over HP.. The Lady Yellow Jackets pretty much led the whole way.. Malaysia Todd had 14 points to lead Sanders
- Boys: Sanders 24 – HP 23.. According to Coach Tommy Spires this game went back and forth all night. Sanders found themselves trailing 16-13 going into the final period. With 13 seconds left in the game, Summie Carlay sank the game winner.. Carlay was high scorer for Sanders with 6 points.
Hickory Tavern @ Laurens Middle School:
- HT 34 – LMS 30.. In a game that went back and forth all night, the Lady Panthers of HT took a hard fought 34-30 win over the Lady Tigers of LMS.. The game was tied with 2:29 left to play at 29 points each.. Both teams missed scoring opportunities from the floor and in the end it was Mattie Cantrell making free throws on 3 occasions in the last 45 seconds that was the difference.. Cantrell wound up with a game high 16 points to lead HT.. Other scoring for HT were; Abby Tatham with 6, Daniell Crocker -5, Alysa Blakley & Dajah Kilgore with 2 each and Tyler Richitelli with 1….For the Lady Tigers KeKe Watts had 10 points to lead her team.. Morgan Wilson had 8, Tymeshia Garlinton 4 and Tiesha Jones 3.
- Boys: LMS 50 – HT 23.. The LMS boys team remained undefeated as they posted a 50-23 win over HT.. The Tigers clearly had too many weapons for the Panthers to contend with and took the lead early and never trailed.. Coach Kevin Gaines was able to give all members of his team playing time.. For LMS Ty Rice had a game high 9 points to lead his team…. Brayln McBeth had 7, Jayln Walker, Evan Taylor & Carson Todd all had 6, Tizar Hill 5, 5, DQ Floyd, Antwain Massey & Carson Todd all had 2 while Andrew Wyman added 1…. For the Panthers Jason Johnson was high scorer with 6 points.. Others scoring for HT were; Trey Wardlaw & Layton Mahon had 3 each while jay Jones, Zay Rice, Cameron Coon & Nick Howell had 2 each with Nathan Revis adding 1.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball Schedule.. Girls’ games start @ 5:00
- Belton @ Bell Street Red
- Bell Street White @ Laurens
- Honea Path @ Hickory Tavern
- Gray Court-Owens @ Sanders.. This game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- JV basketball host Woodruff 6:00 / 7:30
LDHS: Nothing noted.
Laurens Academy: Nothing noted.
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Thursday January 24th from Sanders Middle School as the Yellow Jackets host the Gray Court Owens Tigers… Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Friday January 125th as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.