Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-25-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. Back on Wednesday the Blue Hose hosted Charleston Southern and the visitors took a 79-59 win over the home team.. The Blue Hose will be back in action tomorrow as they travel to Longwood for a 2:00pm contest.. It can be heard on i91.9… Last night the Lady Blue Hose got back on the winning track as the defeated Gardner-Webb 57-48 at home.. The Lady Blue Hose will not play again until next Thursday when they host Winthrop.
Middle School Basketball:
Bell Street Red @ Belton..
- Girls: Belton 31 – BSR 24.. In the 1st game, the BSR girls had their 9 game winning streak snapped as Belton took a 31-24 win….Don’t have many details other that the Lady Wildcats tried to make a run but came up short.
- Boys: BSR 52 – Belton 26… In the 2nd game at Belton, the BSR boys fared better as they took a 52-26 win.. They had a 2 point lead at the end of the 1st period and extended it in each subsequent period… Tymori Tribble had 14 points and Kiah Young 13 to lead BS… Zay Hurley had 6, Rip Carter 5 and Josh Williams 4 to round out the scoring.
Laurens @ Bell Street White..
- Girls: BSW 25 – LMS 12… The BSW girls used a strong defense to hold Laurens scoreless in the 1st half and went on to take a 25-12 win.. Coach Gardner praised his team’s defensive effort which carried through all the way to the end… Bri James was BS leading scorer with 11 points.. Alexis Jones added 8… For LMS Carlay Owens had 4 points to lead her team…. KiKi Watts and Tiesha Jones had 2 each while Tymeshia Garlington wound up with 1.
- Boys: LMS 49 – BSW 32… In boys action, the LMS boys team remains undefeated and clinched the Little River Boys Championship with a 49-32 win over BSW.. Laurens jumped out to a 14-8 lead at the end of the 1st period and never looked back… Coach Gaines was able to use his bench liberally… Braylyn McBeth had 12 points and Tizay Hill 10 to lead the LMS Tigers… Others scoring for LMS were Jayln Walker & DQ Floyd had 8 each, Evan Taylor 3 and Keenan Dickey 1…. Sorry but Coach Hallman failed to provide me with any details on his team.
Honea Path @ Hickory Tavern:
- Girls: HP 23 – HT 20… In their last home game of the season, the Lady Panthers kept it close but HP prevailed as they took a 23-20 win over the Lady Panthers.. The girls had their chances in the end but just could not make clutch free throws when they counted… Mattie Cantrell had 16 points to lead HT..
- Boys: HT 29 – HP 26… In the 2nd game at HT last night the HT boys found themselves trailing by 11 early in the 4th period but came back to pick up their 1st win of the season as they defeated HP 29-26.. The Panthers half court press created turnovers down the stretch which allowed them to chip away at HP’s lead.. Unlike the girls, the boys were able to make critical free throws at the end with Jay Jones making 4 clutch free throws in the final seconds of the game… Jason Johnson was high score for the Panthers with 10 points.
Gray Court-Owens @ Sanders..
- Girls: Sanders 40 – GCO 9… In girls’ action, Sanders continued their winning ways as they defeated GCO 40-9… Sanders was never really threatened in this game and held GCO scoreless in the second and third quarters…Malaysia Todd was the high score of the game with 16 points… Others scoring for Sanders were:Tanesha Pinson with 8, KeNyJa Spurgeon with 4 and 2 each for Kali Heisey, Bre Bates, Taliyah Young, CJ Ginn, Ianthea Rice, and Sparkle Mims…. For GCO, MaKayla Childs had 5 points to lead her team.. Others scoring for GCO were Synphorha Long and Elxius Jones with 2 each.
- Boys: Sanders 39 – GCO 36 in overtime… In boys action, Sanders took a thrilling 39-36 win over GCO in overtime… The game was close all night with Sanders keeping a small lead the majority of the time… At the start of the fourth quarter Sanders led 26-22 but soon found GCO taking a two-point lead midway through the fourth quarter… With under 30 seconds to play Sanders took a one-point lead and almost got the ball back with the press before GCO could get the ball down the court…Brandon Oberdier put up a shot from the corner with under 1 second to play but the shot fell short… As the buzzer sounded Sanders began their celebration but quickly realized that Oberdier had been fouled on the shot… Oberdier went to the line with 0.6 seconds to play with 2 free throws…. He missed the first shot but made the second which resulted in the game being tied at 32 each and sent the game into overtime… Sanders scored quickly and the overtime and appeared to be ready to put the game away when Brendin Gallimore hit a three point shot to get the game within one again… GCO was forced to file and Corey Maybry went to the free-throw line twice and coolly made all four free throws to seal the win for Sanders as Gallamore’s last second shot was wide of the mark.…After the game both coaches praised not only their teams effort in the game but also that of their opponent… Maybry was Sanders leading scorer with 11 points… Ty Foster added 7,Troy Dendy and Summie Carlay 6 each, Justin Anderson 5 and Jonathon Rayford 4… For GCO Gallamore finished with a game high 18 points and Josh Greene added 13… Others scoring for GCO were Oberdier with 3 and Jason Thompson with 2.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Union County 6:00 / 7:30
- 9th grade boys & both JV team @ Easley 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:00
- Varsity basketball host Easley 6:00 / 7:30
- Saturday: Wrestling @ Woodmont in Region I-AAAA Tournament 9:00
- All basketball teams host Wardlaw 4:00 / 5:00 / 6:00 / 7:00
- Saturday: varsity basketball host Mead Hall 4:00 / 5:00
- The next middle school basketball broadcast on Real Radio 860 will be Wed. January 30th from the LDHS main gym as the Yellow Jackets of Sanders and the Laurens Middle School Tigers end their season with round 2 of their city rivalry series … The Sanders girls won the 1st meeting between the two school as did the Laurens boys.. Join me just a few minutes before 5:00 to see if the same results hold true and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tonight as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.