Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-28-13
Weather Related schedule Changes: The threat of bad weather caused all 3 of the county high schools to postpone their basketball games last Friday night. All 3 schools will make up the games this Wednesday night, 1-30-13. On that night CHS will be at Woodruff in varsity action, LDHS will host Easley and Laurens Academy will host Wardlaw.. Laurens Academy middle school games with Wardlaw will not be made-up but the middle school teams will host Northside as previously scheduled.
Laurens Academy Boys 65 – Mead Hall 29… While we are on the subject of Laurens Academy, the boys did play Saturday and picked up their 17th win of the season as they Mead Hall 65-29.. Jonathan Maddox had 31 points in the game.. The Lady Crusaders were scheduled to play also but Mead Hall had to forfeit because of illness.
CHS JVs: Well I need to do a little catching up on the CHS JV teams so let’s do that now.
- 1-23-13: The CHS JV teams traveled to Chester last Wed. and in girls action the Lady Cyclone JV team snapped the Lady Red Devils’ 9 game winning streak with a 45-24 win… Clinton was up 18-14 at the half but the Lady Devils had problems in the 2nd half with the Cyclone press.. Ticambrius Copeland led team with 6 points… DaNashia Floyd & Cassie Nichols added 5 each…. In boys’ action, Chester completed the sweep of CHS JV teams as they took a 45-31 win… The game was tied 29 all going into the final period but Chester went on a 10-0 run in the 4th quarter and the Red Devils could just not make up the difference… Vee Thompson had 9 points to lead Clinton in scoring.. Jasper Fuller & Harrison Fisher had 6 each, Jatavius Moore & Nate Martin added 4 each while DY Young had 2..
- 1-24-13: The JV teams hosted Woodruff on Thur. night and better news than the night before as the Lady Red Devils took a convincing 28-8 win over the Lady Wolverines.. Clinton was up 14-6 at the half and used the defense to shut down Woodruff the rest of the night.. Cynthia McHam had a game high 12 points.. DaNashia Floyd and Ticambrius Copeland had 5 each…. Just like the girls, the CHS Boys JV team did not let the loss the night before bother them as they took a 48-37 win over Woodruff… The Red Devils had a 15 point lead at the half and each time Woodruff tried to make a run they responded… Vee Thompson & Jasper Fuller had 9 points each to pace the Red Devils.. Jatavius Moore added 7…The team is now 4-9 overall & 3-4 in region play
LDHS Raider Wrestling: We also need to do some catching up with Raider Wrestling
- On Wednesday 1-23-13 the Raider Wrestling Team traveled to Greenwood to take on Easley and JL Mann in their last regular season matches… Good news for the Raiders as they took both matches. They defeated Easley 52-23 and JL Mann 54-21. Those taking actual mat victories in both contests were: Brendan Clark, Trevor Coomer, Anthony Delio and Austin Crocker. Click on following for more match details: LDHS Wrestling Results From 1-23-13
- On Saturday 1-26-13 the Raider Wrestling Team competed in the Region I-AAAA Tournament at Woodmont H.S. The Raiders have qualified as a team to participate in the 1st round of the playoffs which will be on Saturday 2-2-13 when they take on Byrnes at Rock Hill H.S. In addition, the following 10 wrestlers qualified for the AAAA Upper State Tournament February 15th and 16th at LDHS:
113: Luke Sanchez (4th), 120: Matt Donnelly (4th),126: Zach Pedigo (5th),138: Juan Barcenas (3rd),145: Tevin Jenkins (5th),152: Trevor Coomer (3rd),160: Nick Delio (5th), 182: Ryan Hughes (1st – All Region), 195: Austin Crocker (2nd) & 220: Stephens Johnson (3rd) Click on following for more match details: LDHS Wrestling Results From 1-26-13 RegionTournament
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Bell Street White @ Sanders
- Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street Red
- Belton @ Laurens
- Gray Court-Owens @ Honea Path
- JV basketball @ Broome 6:00 / 7:30
- 9th grade boys and both JV teams host Woodmont 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:00
Laurens Academy: Nothing noted on the schedule.
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be Wednesday January 30th as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance. A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.” Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for Spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622).
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.