Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-31-13
Last Night Events Postponed – Again…. Well Mother Nature threatened again last night and all athletic events in the county involving school athletics were postponed – again… Contest on the high school level last night were pretty much those that were scheduled for last Friday night when they were postponed due to the threat of ice.. Here is what I know about rescheduling those events..
- Middle School Basketball: All middle school basketball games postponed from last night will be made-up tonight (provided that official can be obtained).. That means LMS will be at Sanders and Hickory Tavern will be at Gray Court-Owens… Just a reminder that the Bell Street White vs. Bell Street Red is also originally scheduled for tonight.
- CHS: CHS varsity basketball games at Woodruff will be made up tonight at Woodruff with the Lady Red Devils tipping off at 6:00
- LDHS: All games with Easley on varsity and JV level will be made up on Thursday February 7th at same times & locations.
- Laurens Academy: No decision yet.. Will let you know when they decide.
Laurens Academy hosted Covenant Tuesday Night
- Girls: Laurens Academy 32 – Covenant 26…
- Boys: Laurens Academy 55 – Covenant 35… The Crusaders picked up their 18th victory of the season as they defeated Covenant 55-35.. The Crusaders had 2 players scoring in double digits.. They were Chase Brewington with 24 and Matthew Uriwck with 12.. Billy Rockefeller had 8, Jonathan Maddox 7 and Noah Stribling 4.. The Crusaders are now 18-2 overall and 10-0 in division play.
- Boys: CHS 50 – Broome 43… The boys JV team at CHS made it 2 wins in a row on Tuesday night as they defeated Broome 50-43… This was a big win as the Centurion JV team was undefeated in region play.. The team played some of its best ball especially in the 1st half as they led 27-11 at the half.. The Centurions came out in the 2nd half turning up the pressure on the Red Devils and did take a 3 point lead midway through the final period… The Red Devils did not panic but came back and took the win.. Vee Thompson led the team with 15 points and Jatavius Moore added 14.. For more information on this game, go to www.chsathletics.com
- Girls: LDHS 25 – Woodmont 17… On Monday the JV teams hosted Woodmont and in girls action, The Lady Raiders took a 25-14 win over the Lady Wildcats.. The defense was the key to the game for Laurens.. Bre Nance was high scorer for LDHS with 10 points.
- Boys: LDHS 38 – Woodmont 28… The boys JV team also pulled out a win over Woodmont Monday night as they took a 38-28 win.. Laurens trailed by 1 at the half but quickly regained the lead in the opening moments of the 2nd half and held off the Wildcats when they attempted a comeback… Lajune Jones led the Raiders with 14 points.
- 9th Grade Boys: LDHS 49 – Woodmont 40… In action prior to the JV games on Monday, the 9th grade boys team picked up a 49-40 win over Woodmont.. The Raiders just could not pull away from the Wildcats until late in the game when they went on a run to seal the win.. For more information on these games, see the posting at www.ldhssports.com.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: Girls games begin at 5:00
- Bell Street Red vs. Bell Street White
- Hickory Tavern @ Gray Court Owns
- Laurens @ Sanders
- JV basketball @ Chapman 6:00 / 7:00
LDHS: nothing noted
Laurens Academy: nothing noted:
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tomorrow as the Raiders take on Hillcrest… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For Wee Ball (3-4yr) and Tee Ball (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.