Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-1-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Last Wednesday the Blue Hose lost a heartbreaker as UNC-Ashville took a 77-74 come from behind win in Clinton… The Blue Hose will be back in action tomorrow as they travel to High Point to take on the Panthers at 7:00 pm… Last night the Lady Blue Hose had trouble getting the offense going as Winthrop took a 77-42 win at the Templeton Center… The Lady Blue Hose will host UNC-Ashville tomorrow at 2:00 pm.
Middle School Basketball: The middle school basketball season wound up last night as the local teams all played their final games against their traditional rivals..
Bell Street Red vs. Bell Street White:
- Girls: BSR 25 – BSW 13… In the 1st game of the Family Feud between BSW and BSR, the BSR girls took a 25-13 win… The BSR press was something that gave the White team problems all night long.. To their credit, the White team never gave up and held the Red team scoreless in the final period but the damage had already been done… BSR was led in scoring by MK Kelley, Destiny Fuller and Olivia Hamrick who had 6 points each… Kalen Richardson had 4 points to lead BSW in scoring.
- Boys: BSW 36—BSR 35… In boys action, BSW took a come-from-behind 36-35 win in a game that I don’t have time to fully tell you about here.. BSR led by 9 at the half but BSW came back to take the lead with under 2 minutes left in the contest… BSW led 36-33 with less than 30 seconds left but BSR”s Kiah Young had a 3-point shot go in and come out but he did make 2 free throws a few seconds later to pull BSR to within 1.. BSW then missed 2 free throws with less than 6 seconds left and fouled Tymori Tribble sending him to the line with the chance to tie or take the lead if he made both end of a one-and-one with 1.9 seconds left… He missed the 1st shot giving BSW the win.. Shy Boyd led BSW in scoring with a game high 20 points… Kiah Young led BSR with 11 points.. For more information on these games see the postings at www.chsathletics.com.
Hickory Tavern @ Gray Court Owens:
- Girls: GCO 21 – HT 20… Girls: Gray Court-Owens 21 – Hickory Tavern 20.. In the final game of the season, the Lady Tigers of Gray Court-Owens took an exciting 21-20 win over the Lady Panthers of Hickory Tavern. The Lady Tigers jumped out to an 8-5 lead at the end of the first quarter with Synporsha Long scoring all 8 of the Tigers points. The Lady Panthers came out in the second quarter and tied the game at 8 all as the teams went to the locker room at the half….In the third period, the Lady Tigers managed to outscore the Lady Panthers by 2 points with the score standing 16-14 Tigers as they entered the final quarter. Both teams had trouble finding the range in the final period as numerous shots were missed by both teams. Abby Tatham gave Hickory Tavern a two-point lead with about a minute to go. With 25 seconds left in the contest, Gray Court’s Long hit her third 3-point goal of the night to give the Lady Tigers the win after denying Hickory Tavern’s last ditch attempt at scoring…Long wound up with a game high 16 points. Other scoring for the Lady Tigers were Vanessa Huerta with 3 points and Ana Caracamos with 2… For Hickory Tavern, the leading scorer was Mattie Cantrell with 9 points. Also scoring for the Lady Panthers were Abby Tatham with 6, Tyler Richitelli and Vada Jennings with 2 each and Daniell Crocker with 1
- Boys: GCO 42 – HT 24… In boy’s action, Gray Court’s Brendin Gallamore scored a game high 27 points to lead his team to a 42-24 win over the visiting Panthers. The Tigers jumped out to an 11-2 lead at the end of the first quarter and never looked back. Hickory Tavern was able to attack the basket but just could not get the shots to fall. The Tigers also used their height advantage to control the boards on both ends of the court…. Others scoring for Gray Court were Brandon Oberdier with 8 points while Josh Greene, Tay Anderson and Jacob Thompson added 2 each. Antwon Tribble also had 1 point… Jason Johnson was high scorer for the Panthers with 10 points. Nick Howell and Nathan Revis each added 6 points while EJ Dixon added 2 points.
Laurens @ Sanders:
- Girls: Sanders 34 – LMS 12.. The Sanders girls team claimed the Championship of the Little River Conference with a 34-12 win over Laurens last night… Sanders had a 16-10 lead at the half and used their defense to numerous Laurens turnovers while holding the visitors to 2 points in the 2nd half… Malaysia Todd had a game high 9 points to lead Sanders.. KeKe Watts and Tymeshia Garlington each had 4 points to lead Laurens. .. Tiesha Jones and Destiny Mosley added 2 points each for Laurens.
- Boys: Laurens 44 – Sanders 20… In boys’ action, the LMS Tigers completed their undefeated season with a 44-22 win over Sanders. The game was 21-14 Laurens at the half but Laurens came out of the locker room and held Sanders to just 6 points in the 2nd half… Brayln McBeth led Laurens with 13 points and Tyzay Hill was also in double digits with 10 points. DQ Floyd and Jayln Walker each added 7 points each… Jordan Willbanks had 2 points… Sorry but no scoring summary from Sanders.
High School Varsity: CHS @ Woodruff:
- CHS 49 – Woodruff 29.. The Lady Red Devils opened up action last night at Woodruff with a 49-29 win over the Lady Wolverines.. The Lady Devils used what has worked for them lately (a good zone defense and patient offense) to open up a 4 point lead at the half… Clinton broke the game open with a 19-3 run that started toward the end of the 3rd period and carried over into the 4th period.. The Lady Wolverines simply were not able to answer that against Clinton’s defense…. Gabby Bates had 16 points to lead Clinton.. Queena Cunningham and Indya Kinard scored 10 points each.
- Boys: Woodruff 61 – CHS 57.. Woodruff avoided the sweep as they took a 61-57 win over Clinton is boys action.. Clinton had foul problems early in the game but did manage to have a small lead at the half.. Woodruff took the lead in the 2nd half leading by as much as 8 points… The Red Devils had their opportunities to catch up but shooting only 13 of 26 from the free throw line hurt their effort.. Nike Davis led the team with 24 points.. RJ Robinson also scored in double-digits with 10 points.. Greg Anderson added 9 points.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball host Chapman … Senior Night.. Last regular season home game.. 6:00 / 7:30
- 9th grade boys & JV basketball @ Hillcrest 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:00
- Varsity basketball host Hillcrest These games can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting a few minutes before 6:000
- Saturday: Wrestling vs. Byrnes @ Rock Hill 1st Round of AAAA Playoffs
- Saturday: 50 Inning Softball Game @ LDHS softball field 10:00am – 2:00 pm. The girls softball team and boys baseball team will split into 2 coed teams in a fundraiser for both programs.
- All basketball host Newberry – Senior Night
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will tonight as the Raiders take on Hillcrest… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.