Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-4-13
Local sports: Checking high school varsity basketball results from last Friday night:
Chapman @ CHS:
- Girls: CHS 45 – Chapman 39… In girls’ action, after trailing 7-9 at the end of the 1st quarter, the Lady Red Devils came back to take a 45-39 win over the Lady Panthers of Chapman… Clinton had a 17-15 lead at the half and an 8 point lead at the start of the final period.. The Lady Panthers cut the lead to 2 point at one point in the final but the Lady Red Devils made a defensive adjustment that created turnovers that the Lady Red Devils turned into points to maintain and open up their lead at the end of the game… Indya Kinard with 11 points and Gabby Bates with 10 were the top 2 scorers for Clinton.. Tamia Sanders and Queena Cunningham added 8 points each.
- Boys: Chapman 81 – CHS 73… In boys’ action the news was not as good as Chapman took an 81-73 win over Clinton… Clinton led at the end of each of the 1st three quarters carrying a 4 point lead into the final period of play.. In the final period of play, the pressure defense by Chapman started to bother the Red Devils as they had several turnovers on errant passes… Panthers star player Debo Samuel also was able to score 16 of his game high 30 points in the final period… The Red Devils did have 5 players scoring in double-digits… They were Shakily Smiley with 20 points, Tay Cook 15, R.J. Robinson 13, Nike Davis 12 and Greg Anderson 11…
- You can find more information on these games at www.chsathletics.com .
Hillcrest @ Laurens:
- Girls: Hillcrest 45 – LDHS 37… In the 1st game of the evening at LDHS, the Hillcrest Lady Rams avenged an earlier loss to the Lady Raiders as they took a 45-37 win… The Lady Raiders started the game slowly as their offense seemed to be a little out of sync for most of the night… The trailed by 4 at the end of the 1st period and were down 9 (21-30) at the half.. MaryAnna Moore led a Laurens rally in the 3rd period getting to within 1 point before ending the 3rd period down by 3 (32-35) going into the final period.. The Lady Raiders were within 2 with the score 36-38 with 2:51 left in the contest when Hillcrest closed out the game outscoring the Raiders 7-1 to seal the win… Maleaka Neal led the Raiders with 13 points.. Jadasia Bennett and MaryAnn had 7 points each while Amber Anderson finished the game 4 points, Shekiya Burnside 3, Kela Daniels 2 and Shaniqua Brown 1.
- Boys: Hillcrest 69 – LDHS 36… Back in early January the Raiders went to hillcrest and the boys played Hillcrest tough and only lost by 7 points.. However on Friday night the Rams came into the gym and proceeded to school Laurens on why they are the region’s top team as they handed Laurens a 69-36 loss.. Hillcrest led 15-9 at the end of the 1st period and did nothing but expand on the lead the rest of the game… Turnovers were the biggest problem for Raiders as they recorded more than twice as many as the Rams in each half.. The Raiders also had a less than stellar night at the free-throw line going 5 for 16 on the evening… Chrishawn Guest and Dra Cunningham led the Raiders with 7 points each.. Kalid Taylor added 6 points, Tevin Barksdale 5, Desmond Beasley-Jones 4, Jacob Freeze 3 and Tyrez Young Michael Boyce 2 each.
- For more information on these games check the postings at www.ldhssports.com
Local Sports Schedule:
- The CHS Booster Club will meet today at 6:00 at CHS
- JV basketball teams host Union County 6:00 / 7:30 last games of the season.
- The LDHS Athletic Booster Club will meet at the Joe Adair Outdoor Education Center tonight at 7:00.
Laurens Academy: Nothing on the Schedule
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tomorrow February 5th as the Raiders host TL Hannah… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For Wee Ball (3-4yr) and Tee Ball (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.