Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-5-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The Blue Hose almost fought their way out of a big hole last Saturday as they cuts High Point’s lead to just 4 points with 3:12 left in the game before falling to the Panthers 78-68… The Blue Hose will be back in action tomorrow night as they host Gardner Webb at the Templeton Center with the tipoff set for 7:00… Meanwhile the Lady Blue Hose had better luck last Saturday as they defeated UNC-Ashville 71-40 at home to run their Big South record to 8-3… They will be on the road this Thursday as they travel to Gardner Webb for a 7:00 game.
CHS: The Clinton JV teams finished their season last night as they hosted Union County
- Girls: CHS 43 – Union 26… The Lady Red Devil JV team finished the season on a high note with a 43-26 win over Union… The game was tied at 10 at the end of the 1st period but used their half court trapping defense to take a 20-13 lead at the half.. Coach Jo Webb changed things up in the 2nd half applying a full court press that allowed Union only 13 points in the 2nd half.. Cynthia McHam led all scorers with 11 points, Brooke Baker and Jamie Lyons with 8, Cassie Nichols and Ticambrious Copeland with 6 and DeNaisha Floyd with 4. The JV girls finish the season with a 12-4 record… Congratulations to Coach Joe Web and her team for a fine season.
- Boys: Union 44 – CHS 41… IN the 2nd game, Union County avoided the sweep as they took a 44-41 win over the Red Devils… Coach Eddie Romines reports that they played a good game overall but making only 4 of 10 from the free-throw line proved a little too much to overcome… Vee Thompson had 14 points and La’Monta Simpson was also in double-digits with 10 points.. Jasper Fuller had 6 points, DY Young 4 and Nate Martin 2… The team finished with a 5-6 overall record and 4-6 in region play.. 11- of the 15 players on the team this year were freshman and Coach Romines said he was very pleased with the team’s improvement over the course of the year.
- Wrestling… On Saturday 2-2-13 the Laurens Raider wrestling team traveled to Rock Hill to take on Byrnes High in the 1st round of the AAAA Wrestling Tournament… The Raiders came in as a #2 seed and Byrnes a #3 seed…When the final match was over, Byrnes had taken a 43-36 win over the Raiders…. Those taking actual mat victories were Matthew Donnelly, Evan Osborne and Ryan Hughes…. While the team season may be over, 10 Raider team members will be competing in the Upper State Tournament on February 15th & 16th at LDHS. … Click on following for more details on this match: LDHS Wrestling Results From 2-2-13
Laurens Academy: Catching up on varsity basketball action last Friday night out at Laurens Academy, the Crusaders hosted the Newberry Academy Eagles
- Girls: Newberry 23 – L.A. 21… The Lady Crusaders played a tough defensive game but in the end the Lady Eagles pulled out a 23-21 win… The Lady Crusaders had the last possession but could not get a good look at the basket and their last second shot was off the mark.
- Boys: L.A. 43 – N.A. 31.. In boys action, the Crusaders picked up their 19th victory of the season and secured the region championship with a 43-31 win over N.A…. The Crusaders were led by Billy Rockefeller with 19 points… Chase Brewington and Samuel Moore both had 8 points, Matthew Urwick 5, Samuel Maddox 2 and Noah Stribbling 1.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Union County.. These games can be heard on Sport Radio 1410 WPCC starting about 5:50.
- 9th grade boys, & both JV teams at TL Hannah
- Varsity host TL Hannah Thus games can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting a few minutes before 6:00
- Varsity basketball host Wardlaw
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tonight as the Raiders take on TL Hannah… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.