Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-6-13
CHS: Clinton traveled to Union County High for the last regular season games of the year last night
- Girls: UCH 58 – CHS 37… The Lady Red Devils fell behind early to the Region 3-AAA Chaps the Union County Lady Yellow Jackets last night and Union won by a score of 58-37… Clinton was down by 14 at the half and 12 going into the final period.. The Lady Devils were able to cut the lead to less than 10 in the final period before U.C. pulled away to take the 58-37 win.. . Gabby Bates had a game high 21 points for Clinton and Indya Kinard added 11.. Trevoria Dendy closed out Clinton’s scoring with 5 points
- Boys: CHS 80 – UCH 50… In boys’ action, the Red Devils closed out the regular season on a positive note as they took an 80-50 over the Yellow Jackets and clinched a spot in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row… Clinton jumped out to a 17-8 lead at the end of the 1st quarter and never looked back… Coach Frazier said the team played well and he used a different line-up last night… One member of that new line-up was 8th grader Tymori Tribble led all scorers with 18 points.. Not bad!.. Tay Cook was also in double digits with 10 points… RJ Robinson added 9…. I’ll have more information about the playoff situation later in the week.
LDHS: The Raiders hosted TL Hannah last night in region action..
- Girls: LDHS 47 – Hannah 40… In the first game, the Lady Raiders shook off a poor 1st half to come back and take a 47-40 win over Hannah… The Lady Raiders had 15 turnovers in the 1st half but were only down by 2 at the half mainly because MarryAnna Moore had 10 of her 12 points in the 1st half.. In the 2nd half, the Raiders cut their turnovers down to 5, rebounded better, played good defense and got other players involved on the offense to take the lead midway through the 3rd period and hold on for the win… In addition to Moore’s 12 points, others scoring for Laurens were Shekiya Burnside 9, Maleaka Neal 8, Alexis Moses 7, Amber Anderson 5, Jadasia Bennett 3 and Nasia Owens 1.
- Boys: Hannah 39 – LDHS 38… In boys action, the Raiders let one slip away as Hannah avenged an earlier season loss to the Raiders by taking a 39-38 win.. Laurens led by 6 at the half but turnovers plagued them in the 2nd half and by the end of the 3rd period the score was tied at 28 all… The final period went back and forth with neither team holding more than a 4 point lead at any time… Hannah took the lead with 26 second left… After a couple of Raider timeouts, they inbounded with 8.7 seconds left but could not get an open shot and a desperation shot fell short at the buzzer… Tyrez Young was the leading scorer for Laurens with 14… Others scoring for the Raiders were; Chrishawn Guest with 9, Davon Boyce, Quin Suber, & Dra Cunningham all had 3 points each, while Michael Boyce, Desmond Beasley-Jones and Khalid Taylor all had 2 points each.
Laurens Academy hosted Wardlaw Academy
- Girls: LA 42 – WA19
- Boys: LA 56 – WA 40.. The Crusaders picked up their 20th win of the season and go undefeated in the region..
Local Sports Schedule:
- Baseball hot Westside in a scrimmage 5:00
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tomorrow as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.