Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-7-13
- There is still no “official” word on who the CHS varsity basketball teams will be playing starting next Monday.. There are still a couple of weather delayed games in the region that are yet to be played that will have a bearing on the final playoff seeding… My understanding is that these games are to be played tonight so it will most likely be this weekend when the SCHL releases the brackets.. I’ll let you know as soon as I know.
- Now as most sports fans know, yesterday was national signing day for college football… Two CHS athletes signed to play at two different schools in the same conference… Kenyon Brown signed to play at PC while Truett Burns signed to play at Charleston Southern.. If you go to www.wlbg.com and look in the Between the Lines section you will find a short video interview with each of them.. Check it out.
- LDHS will have a couple of players signing today.. Check back tomorrow for details.
- The Laurens Academy Crusaders start their quest for a state title in basketball.. They will be the road traveling to Wardlaw Academy down around Johnston where the first round games are being played.. The 16-2 and Region Champion Crusaders will take on Mead Hall Episcopal School out of Aiken.. Good Luck to the Crusaders !!!
College Notes: Well as previously mentioned yesterday was nation signing day for college football
- PC: Presbyterian College football coach Harold Nichols announced the signing of 25 student-athletes for the 2013 season. The class includes nine defensive linemen, three offensive linemen, four running backs, a defensive back, two tight ends, two wide receivers, a linebacker, a kicker, and two quarterbacks. Six players hail from South Carolina, while 10 are from Georgia and one is from North Carolina. PC also signed a player from Alabama, four from Florida and three from Kansas to round out the 25 on signing day…. “Today is the culmination of a lot of hard work by our coaching staff, we believe we have attracted an outstanding class of young men that will be the building blocks our program moving forward,” said Coach Nichols. “I want to thank everyone involved in this process. Our administration, faculty, and athletic department all played a big part in making this day a success.” Click on following for complete PC press release PC Football Signing Press Release
- Clemson: Clemson had about 19 recruits sign yesterday and they seemed to ne heavy on the defensive side of the ball.. Some analyst are ranking the recruiting class in the 12th to 15th ranking range.. Click on following to go to Clemson list of recruits signed yesterday: Clemson Athletic Site Signing List
- South Carolina: South Carolina signed 18 yesterday and only 4 sre in-state recruits.. The Gamecocks were also weighted to the defensive side of the ball.. As for ranking, all I am hearing is top 25.. Click on following to link to USC athletic website info about recruits signed yesterday: South Carolina Athletic Site Signing Information
Local Sports Schedule:
- Lacrosse team host Hillcrest in scrimmage 5:00
- First Round of SCHISA Region 2-A Basketball Tournament at Wardlaw.. Crusader vs. Mead Hall @ 8:30
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tonight as the Raiders take on Easley… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For Wee Ball (3-4yr) and Tee Ball (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.