Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 1-8-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Back on Wednesday night the Blue Hose took a 57-54 win over Garner Webb at the Templeton Center.. PC will be back in action tomorrow as they take on Radford up in Virginia.. The Lady Blue Hose were on the road up at Gardner Webb last night and suffered only their 4th loss in Big South action as Gardner Webb took a 55-38 win… The Lady Blue Hose are also on the road tomorrow as they travel to Conway to take on Coastal Carolina.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders closed out their regular season home schedule as they hosted the Easley Green Wave:
- Girls: LDHS 42 – Easley 33.. In the first game, the Lady Raiders took a 42-33 win over the Lady Green Wave…Easley had a 10-9 lead at the end of the 1st period of play with MaryAnna Moore scoring all 9 of Laurens point in the period.. Laurens stepped up the defense in the 2nd period holding Easley to 4 points while scoring 9 points in the period to take an 18-14 lead at the half.. Maleaka Neal sparked the Raider offense at the end of the period with 6 points.. Laurens continued to build on the lead with solid defense and an improved rebounding game on both ends of the floor… Moore finished the game with a game high 26 points… Neal was also in double digits with 10.. Also scoring for the raiders were Shaniqua Brown, Shekiya Burnside & Nasia Owens all with 2 points each.
- Boys LDHS 62 – Easley 60 in overtime… In boys’ action, the Raiders ended a 2 game losing streak with a 62-60 win over Easley in overtime…Tyrez Young got the winning basket with about 7 seconds left in overtime to pull out the win in a game that earlier looked like it could be an easy win for the Raiders… Laurens jumped out to an 18-4 lead at the end of the 1st period mainly on Young’s nine points in the period and a stingy defense.. By the half, Easley had cut into the Laurens lead but Laurens still led 25-15.. In the 3rd period Easley continued to chip away at the Laurens lead and trailed by only 3 (35-38) going into the final quarter of play… Laurens continued to struggle from the floor and at 1:40 mark tied the game.. Dra Cunningham hit clutch free throw to give Laurens a 2 point lead but the Green Wave tied the game at 52 all with 8 seconds left to send the game into overtime..Both teams traded baskets and the lead until Young’s winning basket… Young finished the night with 21 points to lead Laurens and Cunningham finished with 14 going 10-14 from the free throw line… also scoring for Laurens were Davon Boyce with 9, Chrishawn Guest 8, Quinton Billups 7 and Jacob Freeze 3.
- Laurens finishes the regular season tonight as they travel to Greenwood to take on the Eagles… The boys team has qualified for the playoffs and the girls are all but “in” depending on action around the region tonight.. I’ll post up playoff match-ups at wlbg.com this weekend as soon as I know them anf also tweet them. Look for AM860Mike on twitter.
- The L.A. boys team picked up their 21st win of the season as they defeated Mead Hall 72-19 in opening round play-off action.. . Sorry but I do not have any scoring details at this time.. They will be back in action tonight in the semi-finals taking place at Newberry College.. The will face the winner of the Anderson Christian – Glenforest game yesterday… Tipoff is scheduled for 8:30.
- The basketball playoff picture is a little clearer for the CHS varsity basketball teams… According to Coach Chris Wofford, the Lady Red Devils will be on the road Monday night taking on the Lady Golden Hurricanes of Wren with tipoff scheduled for 7:00… As for the boys, they will start action Tuesday night on the road also… While I am not 100% sure, it looks like they be taking on Daniel.. I’ll confirm that by the time we get together on Monday morning.
College Football Signings:
- Yesterday at LDHS, Roderick Talley and Martez Abrams both signed to play college football… Roderick signed to play at Gardner Webb and Martez at All Sports Academy in Brooklyn, NY.. Later this afternoon, I should have video interviews with both of these young men posted at wlbg.com..
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.