Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-11-13
CHS: The basketball playoffs begin tonight for the CHS girls’ basketball team and tomorrow for the boys
- Girls: The Lady Red Devils will travel to Wren tonight to take on the Lady Golden Hurricanes.. Wren is a school that dropped down to 3-A this year after spending several years at the 4-A level… They are coached by longtime coach Lynn Hicks and have a 21-3 overall record and finished 1st in Region I-AAA with a 13-1 region record.. Two of their losses were to teams from Tennessee and Kentucky in a holiday tournament in Florida… Their only loss in state was to region foe Daniel back on 1-2-13 by a score of 37-51 but the defeated Daniel 53-34 on 1-26-13… They are averaging 54.5 points per game while giving up an average of 37.3 points per game.. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00.. Good Luck to the Lady Red Devils!
- Boys: The boys will travel to Daniel tomorrow night for a 7:00 contest. More about Daniel tomorrow.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders finished up their regular season last Friday night down at Greenwood as they took on the Eagles..
- Girls: Greenwood 49 – LDHS 39… In the first game at Greenwood, the Lady Eagles took a 49-39 win over the Lady Raiders.. Laurens suffered from scoring droughts throughout the game but did have a brief lead in the 2nd period… By the half the Greenwood was up 26-16.. Laurens was never able to get closer than 9 points the rest of the game… Greenwood substituted freely as they knew they would be facing JL Mann on Saturday night in tie-breaker for the region championship which they did win.. MarryAnna More led Laurens with 17 points 11 of which were from the free-throw line… Late in the game she suffered an ankle injury which would come into play on Saturday night when the Raiders faced Westside for 4th place in the region.. More about that in a moment.. Shekiya Burnside had 9 points and Alexis Moses 5.
- Boys: LDHS 70 – Greenwood 65… In boys’ action at Greenwood, the Raiders took a 70-65 win.. The Raiders had a 1 point overtime loss to the Eagles at home a couple of weeks ago in mind as they went into this game.. At the start, Greenwood hung in with Laurens and had a 2 point lead at the end of the first quarter which added to in the opening of the 2nd quarter.. Laurens then stepped up its defense and posted a 30-23 lead at the half… Laurens extended its lead to over 10 in the second half and Greenwood did try to make runs at the Raiders but Laurens made sure they were not successful.. Tyrez Young was leading scorer for Laurens with 24 points… Two other Raiders scored in double-digits… They were Dra Cunningham with 19 points and Davon Boyce with 14.. The Raiders will open post-season play Wednesday night at Dorman.. More later on that down the road.
- Girls: Westside 59 – LDHS 29.. The Lady Raiders ended the regular season on Friday night tied with the Lady Rams of Westside for 4th place in the region with identical 6-8 region records.. This caused a tiebreaker game to be played at JL Mann on Saturday night… Unfortunately for Laurens, their season came to an end as Westside took a 57-29 win… MaryAnna Moore was unable to play because of the ankle injury that occurred the night before at Greenwood and the Lady Rams took full advantage of that fact.. They were able to get the ball inside and score often without her presence there… On the other hand, Laurens was just not able to generate any sustained offense the entire game.. . After the game Coach Langford noted the “gutsy” play of Shaniqua Brown who moved into the center position and was at a size disadvantage… Ana Parek and Alexis Moses had 6 points each to lead the Raiders.. Brown had 5 points while Jadasia Bennett, Shekiya Burnside and Nasia Owens all had 3 points each.. The Lady Raiders finish the season 10-14 overall.
- L.A. 61 – A.C. 40… Also on Friday night the Laurens Academy Crusaders defeated Anderson Christina in the semi-finals of their region basketball tournament.. Matthew Urwick paced the Crusaders with 32 points.. Billy Rockefeller had 17, Samuel Moore 7, Chase Brewington 3 and Josh Urwick 2.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.