Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-12-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. Last Saturday the Blue Hose basketball team rallied from a 17 deficit to tie the game with Radford at 45 all with 12 minutes to go in the game but Radford pulled away to take a 76-65 win over PC.. They will be at home tomorrow night as they host Coastal Carolina at the Templeton Center in a 7:00 PM contest… The Lady Blue Hose have been off since last we talked but will return to action Thursday when they travel to Coastal Carolina for a 7:00 PM contest.
- Girls: Wren 65 – CHS 37…In first round playoff action up at Wren last night, the Lady Red Devils fell behind by 16 after the first period as the Lady Hurricanes went on to take a 65-37 win and eliminate Clinton from the playoffs… The red devils did manage to cut the lead to 8 at one point in the 2nd period but Wren answered with a 12-2 run and went into the half with A 35-17 lead… Wren’s defense continued to cause Clinton to turn the ball over in the 3rd period as they stretched their lead even further… Indya Kinard led the Lady Devils with 14 points… Trevoria Dendy was also in double-digits with 10 points… The Lady Red Devils end their season 10-14 overall but considering the injuries on the team this year I personally applaud them on a valiant effort.
- Boys at Daniel Tonight: Daniel finished 1st in Region I-AAA with an 18-6 overall record and 13-1 in region play. Their losses were to Travelers Rest, Spartanburg twice, Dorman, Jupiter HS out of Florida, and Seneca in region play.. They are averaging 61.8 points per game while giving up 53.7 per game… This game will not be broadcast on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC so go up and support the Red Devils… Good Luck to the Red Devils!!
Laurens Academy: Well I need to do a little catching up on basketball out at Laurens Academy.
- L.A. 61 – A.C. 40… Back on Friday night the Laurens Academy Crusaders defeated Anderson Christina in the semi-finals of their region basketball tournament.. Matthew Urwick paced the Crusaders with 32 points.. Billy Rockefeller had 17, Samuel Moore 7, Chase Brewington 3 and Josh Urwick
- N.A. 42 – L.A. 33.. On Saturday the Crusaders fell in the region finals as Newberry Academy took a 42-33 win.. Uncharacteristically, the Crusaders found themselves down 28-14 at the half.. The Crusaders tried to mount a comeback in the 2nd half but each time they tied Newberry would slam the door shut with clutch shots and free throws… Chase Brewington led his team with 12 points.. The Crusaders ended the regular season 23-3 (16-1) and will be going into the SCISA state playoffs. I’ll let you know their schedule there later.
- Boys Region Awards: Matthew Urick and Billy Rockefeller were named to the All-Tournament Team and Rockefeller also was named to the All-Region Team. The Region Player of the Year is Chase Brewington… Crusaders Head Coach Travis Plowden was also named Region Coach of the Year
- Girls Region Awards: Elizabeth Price and Taylor Williamson were named to the All-Region Team.
- The Laurens Raiders Boys Team will open up playoff action tomorrow night with a 7:00 PM contest at Dorman.. I’ll have more for you about the Cavaliers tomorrow… If you can’t make it to that game you can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming live on the internet at wlbg.com starting a little before 7:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.