Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-14-13
- Raiders 56 – Dorman 48… The Dorman Cavaliers came into last night’s game 19-5 having finished 1st in Region II-AAAA while Laurens finished 4th in their region with a 16-8 record.. Dorman defeated Laurens 76-40 in the 2nd game of the season… Not many people can remember the last time Laurens defeated Dorman because after all “they are Dorman”.. So Dorman wins the contest before it’s even played – correct? .. Wrong, the Raiders took a 56-48 win over the Cavaliers.. Both teams pretty even ball during the 1st half as Laurens was up by 1 (8-7) at the end of the 1st period but the score was tied 20 all at the half.. Laurens used a stick defense and patient offense to keep the high powered Cavaliers in check during the opening half.. Laurens outscored Dorman 16-9 in the 3rd period as Laurens continued to play good defense, get some blocked shots and make baskets when the opportunity presented itself..Dorman helped in the 3rd period by making only 1 of 8 free throws in the 3rd period.. The Cavalier shot only 40% from the charity stripe in the game.. Tyrez Young had 7 of his 15 points in the 3rd period… In the final period, Dorman tried to make several runs at the Raiders but the raiders either answered with baskets of their own or made free throws when they counted.. Laurens was Dra Cunningham, Davon Boyce and Chrishawn Guest all had critical baskets and the Raiders went 12 for 20 from the free throw line in the final period to help seal the win.. Tyrez Young and Dra Cunningham both had 15 points each to lead the Raiders in scoring.. Chrishawn Guest finished with 9 points, Davon Boyce 5, Michael Boyce 5, Khadajah Irby 4, and Quinton Billups 2.. The Raiders now advance to 2nd round play as they will be on the road facing Spring Valley this Saturday.. When I have more info as to time I will pass it on.. Click on following to hear short interview with Coach Mark Freeze after the contest: Mark_Freeze_After_Dorman_Win_2-13-13
Laurens Academy: I still need to catch up on a couple of things basketball related with Laurens Academy
- Boys Region Awards: Matthew Urwick and Billy Rockefeller were named to the All-Tournament Team and Rockefeller also was named to the All-Region Team. The Region Player of the Year is Chase Brewington… Crusaders Head Coach Travis Plowden was also named Region Coach of the Year
- Girls Region Awards: Elizabeth Price and Taylor Williamson were named to the All-Region Team.
- First Round State SCISA Playoffs… The SCISA State Class A playoff brackets were released yesterday and we now know when, who, where, what time and against whom the Laurens Academy teams will be playing… The girls will be playing Andrew Jackson tomorrow at 6:30.. The boys will be in action on Saturday at 3:00 against Colleton Prep… These games will take at Wilson Hall down in the Sumter area.. Good luck to the Crusaders!
- Seniors on CHS Girls Team: Sha’Kura Cook, Patrice Harp, Ellie Tallman, Gabby Bates, Nekedia Moses, Brooke Shealy, Jamaica Kennedy and Indya Kinard
- Seniors on CHS Boys Team — Greg Anderson, Jacob Adams, Lavadrick Glenn and Keyon Brown
Local Sports Schedule:
- Baseball home scrimmage at 5:00
- The Lady Raider Softball Team has its only home scrimmage of the pre-season.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For WeeBall (3-4yr) and TeeBall (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.