Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-15-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by PC Athletics: Back on Wednesday night the Blue Hose hosted Cliff Ellis and his Coastal Carolina team at the Templeton Center… PC rallied to with 4 points with just under a minute to play but the rally fell short as Coastal took a 60-53 win… Last night the Lady Blue Hose traveled to Coastal Carolina and came back from being down 1 point at the half to take a 65-54 win over the Coastal.. Tomorrow the Lady Blue Hose will be back on the road as they head down I-26 to take on Charleston Southern in a 2:00 PM contest and the men’s basketball team will host the Winthrop Eagles in a 7:00 PM contest at the Templeton Center.
Local sports: Not a whole lot going on in local sports yesterday.
- The CHS baseball team did scrimmage Mid Carolina yesterday and Coach Atkinson reports they did OK as they outscored the Rebels 6-4… I believe the girls’ softball team has a home scrimmage this afternoon.
- First Round State SCISA Playoffs… A reminder that the SCISA State Class A playoffs start today and both the boys and girls Crusader varsity teams will be involved… The girls will be playing Andrew Jackson tonight at 6:30.. The boys will be in action tomorrow at 3:00 against Colleton Prep… These games will take at Wilson Hall down in the Sumter area.. See my sports report for today to see the full tournament bracket…Good luck to the Crusaders! Click on following for full tournament bracket: 2013_SCISA_Basketball_Playoffs
- The girls softball team was in action yesterday and according to Coach Butch Clark showed some significant improvement over scrimmages held last Saturday.. The Lady Raiders did outscore their 2 opponents.
- If you like high school wrestling then Laurens High is the place to be tonight and tomorrow as Laurens host the 4-AUpper State Wrestling Tournament.. All the 4-A schools in the upstate will have representatives there. The Raiders have 10 wrestlers who have qualified for the tournament.. Those wrestlers are: Luke Sanchez, Matt Donnelly, Zach Pedigo, Juan Barcenas, Tevin Jenkins, Trevor Coomer, Nick Delio, Ryan Hughes, Austin Crocker and Stephens Johnson… The action starts this afternoon at 5:30 and starts back tomorrow at 9:00.. If you ever wondered what high school wrestling is all about, come out and watch… I think you will be surprised how intense the completion can be.
- Well The Laurens Raider Boys Basketball team will be back in action tomorrow as they travel the N.E. Columbia area to take on the Spring Valley Vikings in 2nd round 4-A playoff action… The Raiders are coming off the big 56-48 win over Dorman are looking to maintain that momentum into the 7:00 PM contest… The Vikings are 17-9 overall and finished 2nd in Region IV-AAAA…. For those of you with GPS and navigation devices the physical address for Spring Valley is : 120 Sparkleberry Rd., Columbia, SC 29229.. Driving Directions: Take I-26 to Columbia and get on I-20 east toward Florence… Take the Clemson Rd. Exit and go back over the interstate toward Highway 1 (Two Notch Rd.).. When you get to Hwy 1 (Two Notch Rd.) turn left and Spring Valley will be on your left in a very short distance.
College Baseball: The road to Omaha starts today for the majority of college baseball teams..
- PC opens up with a weekend series @ Savannah State .
- Clemson host William & Mary in a weekend series
- South Carolina plays host to Liberty also a weekend series.
- This next varsity basketball from Laurens High School will be tomorrow as the Raiders take on Spring Valley just N.E. of Columbia in 2nd round 4-A playoff action.. The Raiders are coming off the big (what some folks call an upset) win over Dorman on Wednesday night… I hope you can make it to the game but if you can’t Join Dr. Rhett Harris and me a few minutes before 7 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League Baseball and Softball is proud to announce the upcoming registration period for the 2013 season. The registration period will begin Monday, January 14 and conclude February 16. Skills evaluations will be held the week of February 18. This year’s cost will be $50 for the following age divisions; Coaches Pitch 7-8, Minors, Majors and Intermediate. Cost will include a team hat, moisture wicking jersey, ankle length pants and a belt. For Wee Ball (3-4yr) and Tee Ball (5-6yr) the cost will be $40 and includes a hat, Moisture wicking jersey, draw string pants and socks. All players will be covered with Little League Medical insurance.
A new age division will also be introduced this upcoming season. The intermediate division will be a new baseball group for ages 11-13 and will be played similar to High School. Big Barrel bats and lead offs will be a new area for these ages in Little League. It is designed to prepare players for the next step which will be JV or High School ball. Our league boundaries stretch all throughout Laurens County and the calls have come from just about every corner of the county with interest.”
Registration will be held at the Little River Park recreation office weekdays from 9am-6pm, Saturdays from 10am-6pm and Sundays from 1-6pm. Registration requires proof of residence in Laurens County, a birth certificate and the fees. More information can be had by visiting the office or calling 864-681-7275 or emailing LaurensPRD@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.