- Boys Basketball: Spring Valley 72 – LDHS 57: The Laurens Raiders boys basketball team traveled to Spring Valley last Friday night in 2nd round AAAA playoff action and unfortunately for the Raiders the Vikings had a few more weapons as they eliminated the Raiders by a score of 72-57.. The Raiders were able to keep the game close in the 1st quarter and only trailed 9-11 at its conclusion… The Vikings then started to work the ball inside and controlling the boards as they opened up their lead in the 2nd period.. The Vikings physical and quick defense forced Laurens into turnovers and for the most part was able to keep them out of the paint when shooting… By the half, the Vikings led 36-23… In the 2nd half it was much of the same and every time the Raiders tried to make a run, the Vikings always seemed to have an answer plus a little more.. The Raiders had 3 players scoring 10 or more points… They were Khadajah Irby with 15, Tyrez Young with 11 and Dra Cunningham with 10… Others scoring for the Raiders were Davon Boyce with 7, Chrishawn Guest 6, Quinton Billups 5, Jacob Freeze 3, Michael Boyce 2 & Tevin Barksdale 1…. The Raiders finish the season 17-9 overall..
- Wrestling: The AAAA Upper State Tournament was held at LDHS on Friday and Saturday.. The raiders had qualified 10 wrestlers for the tournament and when it finished, 2 of them have qualified for the State Tournament this coming weekend at the Anderson Civic Center.. Austin “Spanky” Crocker finished 1st in the 195-pound weight class.. He defeated the #1 seed in the semi-finals and then took a 5-3 decision in overtime to take the upper state championship… He will be joined in Anderson next weekend by teammate Ryan Hughes who finished 2nd in the 182-pound weight class.. Ryan won the vast majority of his matches this season and took the 1st 3 of his matches this weekend.. He did get pinned in the finals but was not 100% as he suffered an arm injury in one of those matched that affected him in the finals.. Check out a posting I will have a little later today at wlbg.com with some video from matches these young men participated in Saturday as well an interview with them and Coach Rob Sheffield.
- There is more information about both these events at www.ldhssports.com
- Boys: L.A. 69 – Colleton Prep 44… The Laurens Academy boys basketball team opened up play in the SCISA Class A state championship tournament last Friday with a 69-44 win over Colleton Prep.. The Crusaders led 45-17 at the half they never were really threatened.. Chase Brewington led his team with 25 points.. The Crusaders will be back in action tomorrow night as the travel to Orangeburg Prep to take on Byrnes-Trinity at 6:30.. For more on this see the posting at www.golaurens.com.
Local Sports Schedule:
LDHS: baseball scrimmage at 4:40
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.