Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-19-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics…. Back on Saturday the Blue Hose took a 64-57 win over Winthrop in Big South action at the Templeton Center… Khalid Mutakabbir led the Blue Hose with 15 points.. The Blue Hose are back in action tonight as they travel to Charleston Southern in a contest that can be seen on the Big South Network… Also back on Saturday the PC women’s basketball team was in action down at Charleston Southern.. Good news in that picked up their 15th win overall and 10th in Big south action with a 79-61 win… Former Laurens High standout Shonda Burnside led PC with 18 points, blocked 4 shots and went 6-6 from the free-throw line… For that effort and her 16 points against Coastal Carolina on Valentines Night she was awarded the Big South Player of the Week for February 11-17 it was announced yesterday… The Lady Blue Hose host Campbell in a 7:00 PM contest this Thursday.
Local sports: not any local action last night other than a 3-way baseball scrimmage at Laurens last night.. We are kind of between seasons until the end of the month..
College Basketball Notes: Been a while since I brought you up to speed on ant college basketball other than PC basketball so let’s do some of that now.
- National Rankings: Indiana remains atop this week’s AP poll at #1 with a 23-3 record… Miami of the ACC at 21-3 moved up to the #2 spot this week… The balance of the top 5 are Gonzaga, Michigan State and Florida.. The rest of the top ten are Duke at #6, Michigan #7, Syracuse 8th, Kansas 9th and Louisville #10.. In women’s basketball Baylor is #1 followed by Notre Dame, Connecticut, Stanford & Duke at #5.. South Carolina comes in at #15.
- ACC: Miami is atop the ACC in men’s basketball with a 12-0 mark in conference play.. Duke is 2nd with a 9-3 mark in the conference, Virginia #3 8-4, NC State #4 at 7-5 and North Carolina # 5 at 7-5.. Clemson checks in at #8 with a conference record of 5-8 and 13-12 overall… Clemson has had some tough loses as of late as they lost to NC State back on the 10th by 1 point (57-58) and to Miami by 2 (43-45) on Sunday.. They did defeat Georgia Tech 56-53 between those 2 games.
- SEC: Florida is on top in the SEC men’s standings with an 11-1 record… Alabama is 2nd at 9-3, Ole Miss and Kentucky are tied for 3rd at 8-4 and Missouri 5th at 7-5.. South Carolina and Mississippi St. are tied for last with 2-10 marks and the Gamecocks are 12-13 overall… First year Head Coach Frank Martin is living a little rough and he has called the Gamecocks play embarrassing more than once… Amen.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV baseball @ Greenwood 5:00 scrimmage
- JV & varsity softball host Ninety Six in scrimmages starting at 5:00
- Soccer @ Dixie 5:00
- Lacrosse @ Christ Church 6:00
- JV softball at BHP for a scrimmage
- The Laurens Academy Crusaders boys’ basketball continues play in round 2 of the SCISA Class A basketball tournament tonight as they travel to Orangeburg Prep to take on the Titans from Byrnes-Trinity.. Good Luck to the Crusaders!
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be March 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.