Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-20-13
- Laurens Academy 47 – Byrnes-Trinity 45.. The Laurens Academy Crusader boys basketball team traveled to basketball team to Orange Prep last night to take on the Byrnes-Trinity in 2nd Round action of the SCISA –A State Basketball Tournament… The Crusaders took a 47-45 win over the Bruins but it got dicey in the 2nd half as the Bruins almost came back on the Crusaders.. The Crusaders led by 20 at the half but that lead started evaporating in the 2nd half as the Bruins defense started to cause the Crusaders problems.. Another problem was that when the Bruins fouled and put the Crusaders on the free-throw line they also struggled… The Crusaders only managed to make 5 of 21 attempts from the charity stripe.. Billy Rockefeller and Samuel Moore led the Crusaders with 11 points each.. The Crusaders will be back in action on tomorrow in the semi-finals at Wilson Hall with tipoff scheduled for 5:00 PM.. They will be facing the Faith Christian Knights
- Region 3-AAA Basketball All Conference Team: Yesterday the Region 3-AAA All Conference Team was announced and the girls and boys varsity team each had 1 player to make the team.. For the Lady Red Devils, senior Gabby Bates was selected to the team… For the boys, senior Kenyon Brown was selected… Congratulations to both of them!
College Baseball Notes: Most all of the area colleges opened up their baseball season this past weekend. .. Here are a few quick results:
- PC: PC opened their season on the road at Savannah State with a 4 game series.. On Friday the lost both games of a double header.. The scores were 1-3 and 0-1… On Saturday they did pick up a 17-3 win but lost Sunday 4-8.. They will be at USC Upstate at 4:00
- Clemson: Clemson started their season off hosting William & Mary.. On Friday they took a 2-0 win but William & Mary evened the series with an 11-2 win over the Tigers on Saturday.. Clemson took the series finale on Sunday by a score of 12-2.
- South Carolina: The Chad Holbrook era at South Carolina started this weekend as the Yard Cocks hosted Liberty.. On Friday they took a 4-3 win but then had the game cancelled on Saturday due to the weather.. They played a double-header Sunday and S.C. won the opener 8-7.. Liberty avoided the sweep as they took a 3-2 win in the 2nd game.. Before the game, there were a lot of honors bestowed on former baseball coach and now athletic director Ray Tanner.. A street outside the right-field area was renamed Ray Tanner Way and for the 1st time in South Carolina baseball history a jersey number was retired.. Ray Tanner’s # 1 was retired.
- National Rankings: The Baseball America poll has North Carolina ranked # 1 followed by Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Louisville & Mississippi St. rounding out the top 5.. South Carolina checked in at # 7.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV baseball team at Woodruff 5:30
- JV & Varsity softball host 96 in make-up of rained out scrimmage yesterday 5:00 / 6:30
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is now registering youth ages 3-15 for spring Soccer. Registration fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members. Normal registration ends February 17th. A late registration will end at noon on February 20th with an additional $15 fee.. Click on the following link for more information: Laurens YMCA Spring 2113 Soccer Information
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.