Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-21-13
Recently it was announced that former CHS coach and athletic director Keith Richardson will be inducted at the 3rd South Carolina Athletic Administrators Association Hall of Fame Banquet on Saturday, March 9, at the Charleston Marriott Hotel in conjunction with their Spring Conference for Athletics… This is a great and well deserved honor being bestowed upon him.. Tickets to the banquet are $40.00.. Go to www.scaaa.org, click on Spring Conference Information” in the center of the page, on the next page, scroll down to Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets.
- Baseball: USC-Upstate 5 – PC 2: The PC baseball team’s record dropped to 1-4 on the young season yesterday as the USC Upstate Spartans took a 5-2 win.. The Spartans scored all 5 of their runs in a rocky 1st inning and PC managed single runs in the 5th and 9th inning. The Spartans got their 5 runs on 10 hits and committed 2 errors.. PC’s 2 runs came on 7 hits while they committed 1 error.
- Men’s Basketball: South Carolina 63 – Ole Miss 62: Junior guard Eric Smith hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 27 seconds remaining and freshman forward Laimonas Chatkevicius blocked the final Ole Miss shot to give South Carolina (13-13, 3-10 SEC) a 63-62 conference win over Ole Miss (19-7, 8-5 SEC) at Colonial Life Arena last night.
NASCAR: Well as our late friend Big Gene Pinson would say you can tell spring & summer are not that far away because its time the “good old boys” of NASCAR start their season this weekend with the Daytona 500 on Sunday… Of course most die-hard NASCAR fans already know that and they are buzzing because Dancia Patrick became the 1st woman ever to qualify for the pole position provided she doesn’t wreck her car in the Duels which take place today.. She will be in the Duel 1 which starts at 2:00 and Duel 2 will follow at 3:30.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Var. softball host York – scrimmage 6:00
- Soccer host BHP – scrimmage 5:00
- Lacrosse host Chapin 6:00
- Var. baseball @ Chapin – scrimmage 5:00
- The Crusader Boys Basketball Team will be back in action tonight as they travel to Wilson Hall down in Sumter to take on the Faith Christian Knights in the semi-finals of the SCISA Class-A State Basketball Tournament. Good luck to the Crusaders and I’m hoping they can add 2 more wins onto what is already a great season.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The last day to register is February 28th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.