Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-25-13
Laurens Academy: Boys basketball team results:
- L.A. 54 – Faith Christian 37… I finally have the results of the Thursday night semi-final game and it is good news for Crusader fans as they took a 54-37 over Faith Christian.. The Crusaders had 3 players scoring in double-digits… They were Chase Brewington with 22 points, Matthew Urwick with 17 and Billy Rockefeller with 11… The win on Thursday night put them into the SCISA Class A state championship game on Saturday at the Sumter Civic Center against the Saints of Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach.
- CAMB 51 – L.A. 42.. The Crusaders jumped out to a 13-9 lead at the end of the 1st quarter but could not hold it as the Saints took a 51-42 win to claim their 4th title in 6 years… After the 1st quarter, the Saints turned up pressure on the Crusaders with a sticky man-to-man defense that caused more turnovers than in the initial period… In the 2nd period, the Saints were also able to nail a couple of 3-pointers to help them take the lead they would never relinquish.. The Saints who finish the season 26-5 were led by their all time leading scorer Kendal Henry who had 16 points and 16 rebounds.. The Crusaders were led in scoring by Matthew Urwick with 15 points and Chase Brewington with 14… Billy Rockefeller had 7 and Samuel Moore 6.. Urwick collected 9 of his points on 3-point goals.. Laurens Academy finishes their season with an excellent record of 25-5 overall and 15-1 in the region..
- In a related note, Billy Rockefeller and Chase Brewington were named to the SCISA Class A State All-Tournament Team… Congratulations to these young men and to their entire Crusader team and Coach Plowden on a great season
- Ryan Hughes and Austin Crocker competed in the 4-A State Wrestling Tournament last Friday night and Saturday at the a Anderson Civic Center.. In the 182 pound class Ryan Hughes lost his 1st bout 2-3 to the eventual 2nd place finisher and then went on to win his next bout before falling in the 3rd bout to the 4th place finisher… Austin Crocker competed in the 195 pound class and also lost his 1st bout to the eventual runner-up but battled back to win his next 2 bouts and finish 4th in his weight division.. Congratulations to these young men for representing LDHS in the tournament and to Coach Rob Sheffield.
Local Baseball Action: Well the wet weather caused all the local high school baseball action to be canceled this past weekend.. Here is the latest I have from CHS & LDHS on where we stand now.
- CHS: The JV team will try to get back in action today as they travel to Greenwood to take on Abbeville in a 5:00 contest.. The varsity will NOT play today and will resume action on Thursday when they will play Irmo at Irmo.. According to Coach Lee Atkinson will host Dreher at 6:00 on Friday.
- LDHS: Weather permitting today, the Raider baseball team will try to get in a game today as they will host South Side Christian as soon after 4:30 as they can get there.. Woodmont and Emerald will give it a go after that.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV baseball vs. Abbeville @ Greenwood High 5:00
- Varsity softball vs. Travelers @ Wren High 7:00
- Varsity baseball host South Side Christian 4:40
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The last day to register is February 28th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.