Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-26-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Last Saturday night the Blue Hose closed out their home basketball season with a 68-65 win over the Citadel In a Ramada Worldwide BracketBuster game.. Khalid Mutakabbir led the Blue Hose with 25 points.. Mutakabbir and fellow senior Ryan Hargrave were honored in pre-game ceremonies… PC’s next-to-last regular season game will be tomorrow night as the travel to UNC Ashville for a 7:00 contest… Also last Saturday the Lady Blue Hose closed out their home basketball schedule with a 71-69 win over High Point… Prior to the game, the team honored seniors Shonda Burnside, Dria David, Devin Fothergill, Chelsea Parker, Mariah Pietrowski and Olivia Towers-Solis… The Lady Blue Hose will be on the road for their next-to-last regular season game will be Thursday up at Radford.
- Softball: T.R 8 – CHS 4…The Lady Red Devil softball team opened up their season last night on the road in tournament action up at Wren High School. Their opponent was the Lady Devil Dogs of Travelers Rest… Clinton held the lead most of the game but T.R. took an 8-4 win over the Lady Devils scoring 5 runs in the 6th inning to take the win in a game that was called early because of bad weather.. Jessica Wood pitched the whole game and did well but a couple of errors behind her wound up being costly.. Clinton got hits from Wood, Cassie Nichols , Allison Oxner, Molly Scarborough and Mason Paige Gambrell… The team will continue tournament play on Wednesday as they again travel to Wren to take on Westside in a 7:00 contest.
- JV Baseball: CHS 6 – Abbeville 0… The JV baseball team also opened their season yesterday down in Greenwood as they took on the Abbeville Panthers in tournament play delayed from this past weekend.. Good news as they defeated Abbeville 6-0.. I don’t have any other details other than Brayden Gibbs and Davis Cunningham combined to hold the Panthers to 1 hit.
- Baseball: LDHS 10 – S.C.C. 0.. The Laurens Raider baseball team opened the 2013 campaign yesterday on a cold blustery afternoon with a 10-0 win over the Sabers of South Side Christian in 5 innings.. The Raiders scored 6 runs in the 2nd inning and 4 in the 5th to end the game on the 10-run rule… Cody Smiley and Hammer Walker each went 2-4 on the afternoon while Tanner Adair and Trae Coleman went 2-3 to lead the Raider attack.. Trey Finley, Grayson Bailes and Di’Markus Sanders each had a hit.. Tanner Adair went the distance pitching 5 innings of no-hit ball… He struck out 5 while only giving up 1 walk.. Weather permitting, the raiders will be back in action this afternoon against Berea with the first pitch scheduled for as soon after 4:30 as possible.. If the weather does not cooperate, they will try again at the same time on Wednesday..
Local Sports Schedule:
- Lacrosse @ Riverside 6:00
- Soccer host Newberry in scrimmage 5:00
- Varsity baseball host Berea 4:30 in Battle of the Piedmont Tournament
- Varsity baseball @ Augusta Christian 4:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The last day to register is February 28th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.