Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-27-13
Local sports: well the weather played havoc on local sporting events yesterday so no local results to give you.
- Update of CHS JV basketball game… yesterday morning I told you that the CHS JV baseball team defeated Abbeville 6-0 on Monday night.. I now have a few more facts on the game.. As I told you, Brayden Gibbs and Davis Cunningham combined for a 1 hit shutout. The team also played error-free baseball and scored runs in every inning except the last. The leading hitter was Chandler Todd 2-2…. Tyelr Kelly, Brayden Gibbs, Braeden Webb, and Tristan Smaltz also had singles. Coach Mike Turner stated “We played well in all 4 phases of the game.” Still no word on when they will play again.
- Region 1-AAAA All Region Basketball Teams.. The Region 1-AAAA All Region Teams were announced Monday and the Laurens Raiders had a total of 3 players make the teams… For the Lady Raiders, senior MaryAnna Moore made the girls all region team… On the boys’ all region team, Laurens seniors Dra Cunningham and Chrishawn Guest were selected to be on the team… Coaches of the year were Darah Huffmand of JL Mann for the girls and Reggie Choplin of Hillcrest for the boys. Click on the following link for a complete list of all the players who made the team.
- Now a couple of “twitter” notes: First I have joined the “twitter world” and if you are looking for me you can find me @AM860Mike.. Wonder how I came up with that?.. I am going to try to start putting out a couple of tweets at contest I am at whether I am broadcasting or not.. Will actually be easier to do if I am not broadcasting.. You never know where I will show up at a contest…. Also Jenny Williamson informs me that the Laurens Lady Raider softball team now tweets.. You can follow them @LadyRaidersSoft … Trust me, I have already added them to the few I follow.
College Baseball Notes:
- Baseball America Rankings.. Not much change in the NCAA Div. 1 baseball rankings since I last brought you up to speed.. The top 5 in order are: North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Louisville and Mississippi State.. South Carolina sets in the #7 spot.
- Clemson: Last weekend the Tigers swept a series from Wright State… They took both gamed of a doubleheader on Saturday by scores of 6-0 & 5-3.. They closed out the series on Sunday with a 7-0 win.. They now stand 5-1 on the season.. Their game with Winthrop yesterday was postponed due to a wet filed and is rescheduled for today at 3:00
- South Carolina.. The Gamecocks also played last Saturday and Sunday against Albany.. On Saturday they won 8-3 and then completed the sweep of Albany as they took both games on Sunday by scores of 14-1 and 6-4.. The Gamecocks also were in action last night and as they defeated Furman in Columbia by a score of 5-2… The Gamecocks are now 6-1 on the season..
- PC… The Blue Hose baseball team was in action this past weekend up at NC Central in Durham, NC. Good news as PC took all 3 games.. On Saturday they won 3-2, on Sunday they took both games of a doubleheader 5-0 in the 1st game and 5-3 in 10 innings in the 2nd game… PC’s record is now 4-4 on the season… They are scheduled to Wofford at McNair Field in Forest City, NC in a 6:00 pm contest.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity softball @ Wren vs. Abbeville 7:00
- Soccer host Newberry in scrimmage 5:00
- Varsity baseball host Berea 4:30
- This next baseball game from Laurens High School will be Tuesday March 5th as the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The last day to register is February 28th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.