Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 2-28-13
- Softball Abbeville 13 – CHS 7… The young Lady Red Devil softball team travelled to Wren again last night and took on a traditionally strong Lady Panther softball team from Abbeville.. The news is not what I like to report as Abbeville took a 13-7 win over Clinton.. Abbeville jumped out quickly scoring on homeruns by the first 2 batters. From that point, the Lady Devils played almost even with them until the top of the 7th inning when the Panthers broke the game open and the Clinton could not respond in their half of the inning. According to Coach Nickie Templeton, the pitching was off a little last night and the team failed to get clutch hits as evidenced by leaving the bases loaded twice.. Allison Oxner was the leading hitter for the Lady Devils going 3 for 4 with a walk and a double and Cassie Nichols had a good night also with multiple RBIs… The Lady Devils will be back in action Friday as they again travel to Wren to take on Berea in a 7:00 PM contest.
- Baseball: LDHS 7 – Berea 0… The Laurens Raider baseball team picked up their 2nd win of the young season as they defeated the Berea Bulldogs 7-0 as part of the Battle of the Piedmont Tournament last night at Ed Prescott Field… Laurens was the visiting team last night and wasted little time getting on the board as they struck for 5 runs in the top of the 1st with the big blow being a grand-slam home run by cleanup hitter and pitcher Shannon Smith.. Berea did not help themselves errors and a walk set the stage for Smith… Laurens added single runs in the 4th and 5th innings.. The Raiders managed only 7 hits on the night but Smith’s pitching and the Raider defense not only held Berea scoreless but also limited them to 2 hits on the night.. Smith pitched the complete game striking out 4 while only walking 2.. Laurens will take the day of today before returning to tournament action on Friday against region foe Woodmont in a 4:30 contest.. There will be other games tonight at Ed Prescott Field between other teams in the tournament.
College Baseball Notes:
- Wofford defeated Clemson yesterday by a score of 3-2 in 11 innings… Tigers now 5-2 on the season
- PC defeated Wofford yesterday 5-4 in Forest City, NC… PC is now 5-4 on the season..
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf team host Southside Christian in a scrimmage 4:00
- Varsity baseball host Irmo 6:30
- Varsity softball @ Blythewood scrimmage 5:00
- This next game to be broadcasted from Laurens High School will be a baseball game on Tuesday March 5th when the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Dixie Youth Baseball. There are age appropriate groups for youth 5-15. Registration deadline is March 3rd and the fee is $50. Skill evaluations will be march 4th from 6:00-7:00 pm for 6U and from 8:00-9:00 for 9U. On March 5th skill evaluations for 12U will be from 6:00-7:00 and for 15U from 8:00-9:00 pm.. For more information about soccer of baseball contact the YMCA at 984-2626 Click on following for more information: Laurens YMCA Dixie Youth 2013 Information
- The Clinton Family YMCA is taking registration for its YMCA – City of Clinton Youth baseball and girls’ softball program.. Baseball will be for youth ages 3 – 15. The Y is offering seven different age appropriate groups for baseball. Girls’ softball will be offered for 3 age groups for girls a 7 – 15 year old. The registration deadline is Tuesday, February 19 with registration being taken daily at the YMCA reception desk during normal business hours. Registration fees are $ 40.00 for YMCA members and $ 55.00 for participants. There will be a $10 LATE FEE if registered after February 19th. The last day to register is February 28th. The YMCA is offering financial aid and assistance to greater Clinton citizens as well. The YMCA is seeking volunteer coaches for all leagues as well. Anyone interested in coaching a team should contact YMCA Physical Director Brian Shealy for details. The YMCA can be reached at 833-1555 or 833-YMCA (9622). Click on the following for more information: Clinton 2013 Baseball & Softball Registration Information
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.