Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-4-13
- Clinton 14 – Dreher 0… Back on Friday night Clinton played its 2nd game in the Carolina Ale House Tournament at home and they defeated Dreher 14-0 to pick up their 2nd win of the season… The Red Devils jumped on top scoring 2 runs in the 2nd inning.. Dalton Foster, Landon Allison and Kendal Pitts had key hits in the inning.. In their half of the 3rd inning, The Red Devils struck for 12 runs effectively all but ending the game.. Clinton came close to batting around twice in the inning.. That was more than enough for starting pitcher Justin Foster as pitched the complete 5 inning game.. He gave up only 3 hits while striking out 6 and walking 1… Brandon Pitts and Hunter Stewart led the Red Devil attack each going 2 for 3…
- Airport 7 – Clinton 6… On Saturday the Red Devils played for the championship of the same tournament as they faced Airport at Irmo High School.. Clinton was down 7-2 at the end of the 3rd inning and tried to rally in the 6th inning but came up short as Airport took a 7-6 victory handing the Red Devils their 1st loss of the season.. For Coach Atkinson’s account of the game click on the following link: 2013-3-2_Airport_7-CHS_6 I will tell you here that Clinton’s leading hitters were: Matthew Craven 3 for 4, DBL 2 RBIs, Colby Templeton 2 for 4 & Landon Allison 2 for 4, DBL, RBI… The Red Devils are now 2-1 on the season.
- Berea 16 – CHS 6… On Friday night the Lady Devils lost to the Lady Bulldogs of Berea 16-6.. Berea only led 6-4 going into the 5th inning when errors and a letup in pitching hurt them.. Allison Oxner was the offensive leader fop the team.
- Pendleton 18 – CHS 1.. On Saturday morning the Lady Red Devils battled the cold weather and the Pendleton Bulldogs.. They overcame the weather but but Pendleton took an 18-1 victory.
- CHS 4 – Westside 2… In a consolation game Saturday afternoon, the lady Devils picked up their 1st win of the season with a 4-2 win over the Lady Rams of Westside.. Jessica Wood picked up he win striking out 11 Wren batters.. Wood also had a good night at the plate as she went 2 for 3 with a double and a homerun.. Brittany Templeton also went 2 for 3 and Allison Oxner 2 for 4..
- Laurens 7 – Woodmont 2… Back on Friday night the Raider baseball team played in its 2nd game in the Battle of the Piedmont Tournament and took a 7-5 win over the Wildcats of Woodmont.. The Raiders scored all 7 of their runs in the 2nd inning after 2 were out.. Two hit batters and a walk loaded the bases for Cody Smiley who singled driving in 2 runs.. An error loaded the bases again and Shannon Smith singled driving in 2 more runs.. Another walk loaded the bases and a hit batter brought in another run.. Grayson Bailes then singled driving in the 6th runoff the inning.. The 4th hit batter of the inning brought in the final run.. Woodmont scored their 2 runs in the 6th inning.. The Raiders only had 5 hits and they were all by different players.. In addition to Smiley and Bailes, they were Shannon Smith, Christian Burton and Trey Finley.. Finley picked up the win pitching 5 innings giving up 2 runs on no hits while striking out 6 and walking 5.. Tanner Adair pitched the last 2 innings.. The Raiders are now 3-0 on the season…See the following links for the box score and a game scorecard: 2013-3-2_ Woodmont-2_LDHS-BB-7_Box_Score, 2013-3-1_Wood-2_LDHS-BB-7_scorecard
- Note: The balance of the Battle of the Piedmont Tournament was canceled due to the weather.
Local Sports Schedule:
- CHS Athletic Booster Club meets in team room at old CHS – 6:00
- Tennis host Newberry – 4:30
- JV baseball host Woodruff – 6:00
- Tennis host Union
- Baseball @ Spartanburg Day – 4:30
- This next game broadcasted from Laurens High School will be a baseball game on tomorrow when the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.